Rise in infant suffocation tied to bed-sharing

pdated 10:39 a.m. MT, Mon., Jan. 26, 2009

WASHINGTON - Rates of sudden infant death from suffocation or strangulation have quadrupled in the past 20 years in the United States, most apparently from parents sleeping with their babies, government researchers reported on Monday.

Black male babies are the most affected but it is not clear why, the researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

The trend is clear despite successful campaigns to prevent sudden infant death syndrome by putting babies to sleep on their backs instead of their tummies, the CDC reported in the journal Pediatrics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28857953/

what are your thoughts??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• its amazing any child ever even reaches their teen years with all these dangers in the world. I'm for warning parents about the possible issues with sharing a bed - but not for talking them out of bed sharing should that be something the family wants to do. Also there are many good side palets that can be used to have baby sleep right next to but not on the same matress as the parents. There are many options available and many children who have grown up with sharing a bed with the parents at some point. So whether it is an occasional sleep over or a more permanent routine - support and information is needed. Not condemning parents for a practice that has been in place since women have been birthing children.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Hmm, my kids all slept with us from birth and they all preferred their tummy's.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think the fact that black male babies are most at risk goes against the cosleeping theory. Why would one gender and race be more at risk?
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think that if youre careful cosleeping can be a great thing. I coslept with all 5 of mine from birth until they were old enough to sleep or want to sleep on their own. I dont know why there would be a connection to black children, I would think it wouldnt matter what color a child was they can suffocate no matter their race if you arent careful.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Bull. People leaving their kids in cribs in another room and/or CIO is what is causing babies to die. Having a baby close or co-sleep regulates their breathing and heart rate. They probably also nurse and this can reduce risks of breathing and asthma problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I co-slept with 2 of mine and all of mine have been belly sleepers. They hated sleeping on their backs because they would startle and I was always afraid of them aspirating on their spit up..And more kids who sleep on their backs have flat heads and require a special helmet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I coslept with all my kids. The cosleeping deaths are preventable with proper precautions.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i co-slept with my babies. IT SAVED my son's life!!!!!!!!! I encourage my friends to do it! It is great for bonding, breastfeeding, temperature regulation, breathing regulation, and heart rate. A baby unattended in a "family" bed is the risk. My babies slept with me at night and in their cribs for naps. On their tummies. They preferred their tummies and once they could roll, there was no stopping them.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

ok that part is so untrue, because all of my kids slept on there back and none of them have flat heads and they never wore a special helmet.

mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• riotgrrl I totally agree, I co-slept as well. The thing is, if you are a heavy sleeper, and aren't aware of your child while sleeping, you should not be co-sleeping. I knew every twitch my daughter made while she slept with me. There are also precautions you can take to prevent babies from rolling off beds, and from rolling onto them. If you are going to co-sleep you should research some of the precautions and take note of your sleeping habits.
    mrssundin what you said about anon, was actually inaccurate. My friends son had a flat head from sleeping on his back. It's because the pressure on the back of the head. He actually has a mental disability from it now.. in lesser cases many babies that sleep on their backs loose hair. Very probably that it did happen. And I find what you said very misinformed and rude.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009