New study adds to evidence of vaccine safety

updated 9:42 a.m. MT, Mon., Jan. 26, 2009

CHICAGO - A new study from Italy adds to a mountain of evidence that a mercury-based preservative once used in many vaccines doesn't hurt children, offering more reassurance to parents.

In the early 1990s, thousands of healthy Italian babies in a study of whooping cough vaccines got two different amounts of the preservative thimerosal from all their routine shots.

Ten years later, 1,403 of those children took a battery of brain function tests. Researchers found small differences in only two of 24 measurements and those "might be attributable to chance," they wrote in the February issue of the journal Pediatrics, which was released Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28854955/

what are your thoughts??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whew! (sarcasm)...Both of my children are Autistic and never, for a second, did I blame vaccines as the cause....it's genetic...it was obvious looking back at them before their 1st birthdays that something was amiss--just didn't know what it was then. They have and will continue to receive all of their scheduled vaccinations PLUS the flu vaccine annually!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My thoughts are the vaccines were created to keep us from having our kids die or get severely ill which can cause lifelong damage. I will vaccinate my children to protect them from getting sick rather then not and wonder if I was putting them at risk.
    There have been lots and lots of studies trying to prove these vaccines arent good and all of them come back as being ok and those that are questionable are changed so they are safer. Id rather be safe then sorry. Im not sure I would be able to live with myself if my kid died from a preventable disease.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My thoughts are... what kind of mother would let here baby be used in vaccination testing!? I know I wouldn't.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't allow my child to be a guinea pig either. But I am also not the mother that scares everyone out of vaccines. I have done research and have come to my own decisions on vaccines. My children get their shots. Some are delayed. And we haven't started the flu shot yet. I understand that when something happens to our babies, we like to "blame" someone or something. I deal with my anger in that manner as well. I think that some parents just use the "general" vaccine incidents for blame. nothing wrong with it, but there is a lot of evidence against so many of their theories.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Let me guess - a pharmaceutical company did this study? I believe in vaccines and my children get them, but thimerosal? Let's leave the mercury out - it isn't necessary and if playing with a thermometer is dangerous I'm sure injecting mercury into our kids isn't a good idea.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• sorry, I'd rather have my child vaccinated to ensure that she will be safe. Than later have her get that disease only to suffer more later. The chance of the vaccination doing harm on a child is slim, and if the child were subjected to the disease without being vaccinated would probably die anyways.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think there's tons of supportive research out there that is for both sides. It's up to paremts to filter through it and come to their own ideas. This is one of many pro-vax articles and researches.
    Personal, it doesn't change our desicion to delay And selectively vax.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 11:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I do not trust any test done so by the pharmaceutical companies or any entity that benefits from the profits of vaccines. I am a non vaccinating Mom until my kids start kindergarten. I am a sahm and my children aren't exposed to things that children who are in day care are, so I do not believe in exposing my children to unnecessary poisons in their little bodies. When they start school and their bodies (immunities) are stronger, then I vaccinate.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Wow, as the wife of a pharmaceutical company employee I feel hurt. :-) It's up to each invidiual to research and decide if they want to vaccinate or not. Personally, I feel that it's more dangerous to NOT vaccinate than to vaccinate and that is why we choose to immunize our children.

blessed5x : just wondering if you keep your kids home 24/7? Do they not go to stores? Do they not go to parks? Do they not go to play areas at restaurants? You can pick up a lot of diseases from many places other than daycare.

BTW : my husband's company doesn't make any vaccinations. They make life saving cancer treatments as well as COPD treatments, and other remarkable medicines that are keeping people alive. People like my mother.
    Anonymous

• From ITALY?? Having lived in Italy, don't particularly think much of their hospitals thanks very much.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009