want to get kiddo off the binki!!!

I am wanting to wean Aimee off the binki and don't know how.. She only gets it at nap time and bed time. Don't suggest CIO due to don't like it and won't do it, and don't work. Any suggestions would be nice. I don't want her to need it anymore and would like a none fight at nap or bed when try to keep it from her..

Aimeesmommie

Asked by Aimeesmommie at 11:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD was the same way. We snipped the very tip off the binki and gave it to her. She put it in her mouth, took it right back out and said "It boke". It was hilarious. But we just explained that it was broke but that's how she had to use it now. So she kept sucking on it. We snipped a little bit off each day over the next couple days. She sucked on it until she could hardly hold it in her mouth with her teeth and then she got fed up and was good to throw it away.

Not one tear was shed(aside from the tears I cried in laughter that first night) and not one single fit. She never asked for it again. And she was 2 and half.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• how old is she?? You can try to talk to her about giving them to someone who has a baby. Tell her they are for babies and you are no longer a baby. If she's to young for that just don't give it to her. Honestly my 2 kids didn't even notice it was gone. I just stopped giving it to them. Stop at nap 1st for a few days and if that goes well the stop at bedtime too. I do let my kids CIO but honestly they didn't miss the binki. In my house it was gone before 16 months.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 11:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i just threw it and told her i couldn't find it a couple of days she forgot about it to
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my dd ditn take it she only took it for like two weeks then didnt want it but with my newphew we told him that the trash man took it to give another lil baby cause he is a big boy and shocking it worked
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Aimee is 2 1/2yrs old. We have tried to explain to her that she is a big girl and she doesn't need it anymore but she doesn't care. I will try the snipping the end off and maybe that will work. I have tried to not just give it to her and she will scream for over 2 hours at a time.. And not only that she will soil her diaper when she gets that upset.
    Aimeesmommie

Answer by Aimeesmommie at 11:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Either snip it off like others suggest or have a binky fairy come take them to a new baby.

Some kids calmy accept the change, others don't. And there is no way to tell which YOUR child will do until you try. So, since you are not comfortable with letting her cry, don't throw them out for real. When she starts to throw her tantrum, you will need to have them around so you can stop her crying and let her sleep.

If neither of these work, then you can wait until she sees a dentist and the dentist can tell her they have to go. Or you can wait until she is about to start school and you can claim that the school rules say that no binkys are allowed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009