Does this sound like a good home business? Need advice thanks!

Hello! I am a stay at home mom who needs to (like everyone else) find a job to earn some extra money. I want to work at home and it came to me that working with travel may be fun and rewarding work. I have a good bit of travel experience over my lifetime. I don't have the time or money to take classes to become certified. Is it possible to work as something like a "travel advisor" from home. Someone not certified or anything but can help people plan and research their trip for a flat or hourly fee without doing any of the reservations? It's something I enjoy doing anyway and since I'm not actually selling anything but my time my customers don't need to worry about pushy sales and I'm not working on commission. I realize it's not steady work but it would be great for extra money. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great thanks!

mommyhedge

Asked by mommyhedge at 11:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't think many people would pay for your service, unfortunately. I mean, anyone can do online research, you know? If you aren't an actual travel agent, I don't know why they would use a service like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think if you found a niche - maybe older, less internet-savvy people and were able to put together entire packages for them.....that is an angle.

However, you need to find a way to say "Here's why it's OK I'm not certified."

Also - woud you be handling the monies (i.e., booking tickets) or simply providing the information on what tickets to book?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i would go in with it with you! l love doing that type of stuff. i know that people like my mom and dad would love that kind of thing. there are people out there that don't want to be bothered with doing that stuff and would pay for people to do it for them. but then again, that is what travel agencies are for?? you might want to look into how you can be a certified travel agent and start you own business from there....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes definately. You can make a home business out of anything these days and I know exactly where you can go. Look at liveperson.com. Your services would be great there!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the input! I understand the first reply as far as I'm not an agent so why use me. Wimsey, you seemed to have answered that . My idea is to do as you said and put together package ideas for people who don't have internet access or the time to do the work without acutally dealing with the money. I wouldn't work on commision but an hourly or flat fee so people may feel more comfortable working with me since I wouldn't be trying to pressure them into more then they can afford. I would simply research hotels, airfare rates, locations, etc... but leave the reserving to them. Telling people that i'm here to help find locations and rates so you don't have to do hours of research would be a big help to people who are going on business trips, don't have access to the internet or working parents who want to vacation but don't have time to research it.
    Hope that makes sense. Thoughts please? :-)
    mommyhedge

Answer by mommyhedge at 11:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Armymom, the big reason I want to do this instead of agent is $ and time. I don't want to wait to become certified and can't afford to do it now (why I need a job lol). I also think my service would appeal to people on a budget because I would likely be cheaper then an agent so that would draw a nice crowd I hope.

pupmom, thanks for the info! I'll check that site out.
    mommyhedge

Answer by mommyhedge at 12:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'm taking registrations for several companies looking for telecommuters and ‘home workers'. You can work p/t or f/t for all the places I have listed. I'm also registered with all of the companies and know they are legitimate. Please look at the Top 5 free ways to earn at home at http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009