At what age would you let your new born stay the night away from you?

My grandson is only a week old and his father is already trying to get overnight visits. I think that this is way too early to seperate the baby from his mother. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this?

Shawn212

Asked by Shawn212 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no way on God's green earth that anything would be important enough for me to seperate myself from my new born. Tell him it's too early. do the right thing!:)
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 11:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well it is his father and he needs to bond with him just as well as his mom ...
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think a week old is a little soon. My son was born December 13th 2007 and my birthday is Jan. 27th (today) so my mom babysat overnight so that me and my fiance could do something together for my birthday.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If the baby is breastfeeding, no...he needs to stay with the mom. Unless the father is lactating, that is...

If formula fed....the dad should have time to bond with his son unless there is some reason why he is unfit to care for an infant.

If the mother wants it blocked, she need to get a lawyer.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It depends on if the mom is breast feeding or not?
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My baby is almost 13 months old and has only spend 4 days away from me when I had my seizure. I couldn't let my baby stay away from me. Plus, how can he feed a one week old baby unless he is lactating? That baby needs mamas milk.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• A newborn? No way, not ever. I'd ask the judge to allow day visits only until my child was old enough to be seperated from me(! year or old IMO).
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Nope, never. I was nursing for one thing, and another if he wanted to bond he could come over. There is no way in hell a baby under 6 months would leave me overnight. Not at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't know about the legal side, but I cannot imagine having a one week old separated from Mom for that long. If she's breastfeeding she needs a good month or longer to get that working well before the baby should be away from her for that long. Even if she's formula feeding, I just can't imagine having the baby away from her for more than a couple of hours during the first 6 weeks or so. Your daughter may need to get a legal consult to see what she is required to allow. An attorney once told me that under a certain age (4 I think) in Texas over-night visits with the non-custodial parent are not required.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my son will not be sleeping away from me until he is at least 1 yr old. when there is a custody battle involved its a little different but newborn is way too young, i would say not until 3 or 4 months at the very earliest
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009