I would like to know if anyone has had a complication like mine during a hysterectomy.

My bladder was nicked and urine leaked into my abdomial cavity causing a chemical burn that burned the tissue of my abdomial, and it had to be cut out 2 weeks later.

smotmamama

Asked by smotmamama at 11:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Health

• sadNo and OMG. I am so sorry.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I work as a nurse with Colorectal surgery. We see issues with nicked bladders and nicked colons (which are way worse....) from time to time after c-sections. People have this attitude that a C section is no big deal- but it is a pretty major surgery. Complications are always possible. We have also had a lot of patient with nicked bladders during other abdominal surgeries. But I have never heard of the urine causing a chemical burn. DId they inject something into your bladder that caused that??? That's horrible!
    Anonymous