Isnt this discrimination?

Okay so we go on friday to look at this 2 bedroom home we like it and we fill out the application. on the other side of the property is a pool but our son is too small to walk yet. Plus I wouldnt even let him go outside alone if he did. Well we get a call yesterday saying we cant move in. The ONLY reason why is we have a baby. Isnt that illegal? I understand their is a pool but its way on the other side of the property. If he were to get up tomorrow and walk (yea right) he would fall down the stairs off of the deck first before walking all the way there! plus HE CANT WALK YET! AND HE CANT OPEN DOORS!
should i report them?
Sorry i am just venting a little i am really upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Yea, that's wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's age discrminantion we went through the same thing. We did report the company.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No, its not wrong. They're protecting themselves. They can make whatever policy they like if its with the intent of protecting their tenants.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't think they can deny you because you have a child, unless they told you before hand. I'd call a lawyer and ask about it just to be sure though.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• NOPE! They have the right to refuse pets and children, it should have said that on the application. Let's be logical, just because the baby can't walk (yet) doesn't mean the child won't walk ever. They are protecting themselves.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• there is an age discrimination in the state of california saying thats wrong.
    Anonymous

• *law saying thats wrong. call HUD.
    Anonymous

• That doesnt sound like discrimination but it does sound like they are trying to imply that you all as parents wouldnt be responsibe enough to live in an area by a pool with a child and thats how I would take it and I would be upset too.
    mommymomo07

Answer by mommymomo07 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No it is not wrong. It is their property and if your child gets hurt or dies on their property, you could potentially turn around and sue them. They are just protecting themselves. It is perfectly legal for them to refuse to rent to you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• To me it's wrong unless they told you ahead of time that children aren't allowed, like maybe before you filled out the application? I'm sure the laws vary like if they're private renters but I would look into it.
    Anonymous