I am appaulled...no outraged! What do you think???

So I was watching GMA and they had a story on there that absolutely astounded me. They had said that an elderly man I believe 93 and a WWII veteran was found dead in his home from hypothermia. They said that this unfortunate man had owed $1,000 to the electric company and turn off his power. He had been in his own home for 4 days dead before someone found him. You know I am shocked that someone would let this happen but on the other I am not shocked about the electric company. How did this happen? He obviously did not have any family to look after him so why didn't someone do something to help this man. From the pictures it's not like the man lived in BFE. Were there not nieghbors??? I am a WWII buff and to think of what that man has gone through in his life to die in such a way. I just don't have the words!!!

So what do you think about this and what do you think could be done so this does not happen to anyone else?

SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Asked by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 11:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I JUST SAW THAT THIS MORNING AND THESE ELECTRIC COMPANIES DON'T CARE. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THEY COULD HAVE TRIED TO FIND SOME HELP. OH BTW I EMAILED THE COMPANY ON HOW I FELT.
    Anonymous

• The electric company does not care- pay or freeze, literally.
    Anonymous

• Oh my, thats so sad. I don't know what to say.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree that that is awful, someone at the electric company should not have let it go that long and the bill get that high that just dont make since. He should have had an aid or home nurse to come visit him periodicallly.
    Anonymous

• That is very sad. The problem is electric companies could care less if someone freezes and people don't want to get involved.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I live in Nashville and we have a program that you can donate too to help elderly pay thier electric bill. In this particular situation though, maybe he should have reached out and asked for help. How was any one to know the situation except the power company?
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 12:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The electric company is a heartless cold company that doesn't care about human suffering. All they want is their money, and if some old man that was a hero to this country dies because he can't afford the bill OH well. Not their problem. I had a friend that was going through a tough time and just had a baby. It's winter and the electric co. turned off their electric and when she called to try and work a deal and to say she had a new born (cold as snot outside) they said I'm sorry but that's not our problem.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 12:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some utilities have rules that the power/water/gas cannot be shut off below a certain temp. They need to regulate that and make it standard.

On the flip side of that, in places that do have that rule, there are people who move once a year, run up an unpaid utility bill all winter, then skip out and get them hooked up in a new name at the next address.
    There has to be a balance between endangering people's lives because it's a rough time and catering to deadbeats who will abuse the system every chance they get.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Outrage doesn't quite express how I feel about it strong enough!! We pay for illegals to live in this country, yet we can't pay for a war vet who fought for our freedoms?!! The men who fought in WWII were a rare breed, they just don't make men like that anymore. Their sacrafice, their bravery, their fighting for you and I today.......I am more than outraged!! I would like to know the name of the electric company, I think we should start an email campaign at how we as American's are outraged by this!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Here in southeastern Texas, the power company isn't allowed to turn off your power --- no matter what -- if the temp gets above a certain level in the summer. "Cool Centers" are also opened up in virtually every community (churches, libraries, community centers, etc) where people can get A/C --- they even provide transportation to & from in some cases.

I'm surprised a similar policy isn't implemented in winter in northern areas.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009