My husband has low testosterone, but normal sperm count?

We have just found out that my husband has low testosterone levels, but normal-high sperm count. Does low testosterone affect anything on TTC? Everything that I look up on the internet says "low test. means low sperm count". Well that is no so! We've had a sperm analysis done and he's fine on the count.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My ex had low testosterone..seriously low. His count was 12. Yeah not 1200 but 12. We never did a sperm count but really we didnt have to. We knew he had next to no sperm (had been trying to get pregnant again for many years). The treatment for low testosterone (the replacement threapy) has the unfortunate side effect of lowering sperm count. Soo, if he does have a good sperm count treating the testosterone problem with drugs will lower it. Usually, men w/ low testosterone do have low sperm count. Also depends on how low your husband's testosterone levels are. A "low normal" count is 600- 800 (thus its on the very low end but are still able to produce sperm. if you have very little to no testosterone it is impossible to produce sperm. you HAVE to have some or no sperm production. kind of like if you dont have estrogen and other female hormones at good levels, you wont ovulate)
    Anonymous

• (con't) I have since remarried & got pregnant immediatly with my new husband (twice...had one baby & got preg. again when she was 6 mo old) So I am obviously very fertile. My ex & I had tried for about 4 or 5 years to get pregnant after we had our daughter, and it just never happened. So once we found out about the testosterone we knew what the issue was. It also caused him to have very "weak" and not long lasting erections. When he was able to complete the "deed", what came out was very thin and had what looked like little chunky things in it. It was definitly NOT normal.
    Anonymous

• If the sperm count is normal but testosterone is low that means nothing for you trying to conceive. It just means his sex drive is lower, he will have a harder time building muscle, isn't very hairy, and is very unlikely to go bald. A low sperm count is male infertility not low testosterone. Low testosterone may in some cases cause a lowered sperm count but that is not the norm....
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009