What happens when you get a judgement against you in court?

We had some credit card debit go to court. We didn't show and were found guilty. We still haven't paid. What happens to that? Can you be thrown in jail over it? If you get pulled over for a ticket, will you be arrested? Garnishment? I just don't know. Please, if anyone has personal knowledge of this please comment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think more that than likely they will garnish your wages, and most of the time when they do that, it is a pretty significant amount out of your paycheck. I had a friend that had $700 taken out of each check untill it was paid off. I doubt that they would issue a warrant.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 12:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What state are you in. I am in Texas and i am pretty sure they can't garnish your wages for anything except back taxes, and childsupport, and something else, but not credit cards of other personal type of loans. I am not completey sure how judgements work, but i don't think they effect you going to jail. Meaning i don't think that will happen. But try looking up rules of your state. If you post what state your in i will try to help you find something and post you a link.
    Anonymous

• I'm in Colorado. My SO is using this as an excuse not to get a job. (a legit job on the books). He is afraid that he will lose all he earns so he keeps picking up labor jobs that aren't reported.
    Anonymous

• They will garnish wages. Now here in VA I did not have a job that they could do that so what happened? I go to get gas because I was on E and food for kids and they placed a freeze on my bank account in which I just had deposited my check. I could not access my account to get anything. I had NOTHING! The deal was to keep the account frozen until 2 months until the next court date or pay off the whole balance of the bill. The bank is ordered to bounce checks that you have outstanding and etc. It was a nightmare and a mess to clean up. I ended up borrowing money to make it through and then scraping money to pay them off. ALthough they got their money they took their time releasing my account, cancelling the court date and sending a statement for my use. I never put all of money into the bank now because of that.I had so many fees for bounched checks for bills that I had written.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 1:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I know in WI they can take your drivers license and do to some people, and they can and do garnish wages and yes its a large amount a woman i work with is having $400 out each pay period and we work at walmart so our checks are not huge. The best thing is to call and get it straightened out avoiding these things only makes them worse sorry and good luck!
    HJMT555

Answer by HJMT555 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I worked for a bankruptcy lawyer. If the creditor seeks out a judgement and you don't show up to fight the judgement goes through and you have to pay. If you ignore it, they can go back to court and request to garnsh your wages. If you don't show, then that goes through as well. You better just own up to it and get it taken care of

heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• So... they have to make a formal request through the court to garnish your wages. Are you notified in some way? How would I know if this has happened? Would it just be missing in the first paycheck you get and then you'd know?
    Anonymous