How can i get my 8 month old son to stop wanting so many bottles?

My son is still waking up 3 or 4 times at night for a bottle! He is going through a full can in about 2 days! I need help!

Kaleb2008

Asked by Kaleb2008 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time for more solids. At 8 months he should be eating solids three times a day. They enter a rapid growth rate between 7-9 months and formula/breastmilk alone just won't cut it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Actually, solids aren't nutritionally necessary until they're a year old. They should be getting most of they're nutrition from formula/breastmilk.

I would talk to his Pedi. He's probably just going through a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

• solids should be started at least by 6 months of age, but most of his nutrition will come from the formula still, the only reason i know this is because our daughter was in the nicu and they started her on solids at six month because her body was ready for it. and it sounds like your sons body is ready for solids also.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with the first poster.. while solids are not "needed" until a year.. they are really good for filling up on and allowing the child to sleep better at night. You may be in the middle of a growth spurt, but try giving the baby more solid food at his last meal before bed. It may help! Otherwise, the other thought I had was that your baby may just be waking up, crying, and then you are going in and getting him up. Try to let him cry for a minute or two, he may not really be hungry and may put himself back to bed. I can understand getting up once in the middle of the night and once early in the morning for a bottle, but 3-4 times is a bit much!! How are you supposed to sleep? LOL Good luck
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• How about you stop worrying about how many "cans a day" your baby goes through and just feed him when he is hungry. He is going through a growth spurt, he needs food. You can be giving him solids during the day to help fill him up, but don't start starving him.
    Anonymous

•  Try feeding him baby cereal for his last meal before you lay him down for the night cause it sounds like is not getting satisfied with just formula. My boys did the same thing and I did that and they slept longer during the night. But don't make it real thick just add it to his bottle with the formula make it runny. It was a life saver for me. And you can do that in the mornings to if you need to.

FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i totally agree with both anonymous answers. let him eat when he's hungry. don't try pushing solids to save on formula.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The thing is i'm not worried about the number of cans i was just giving an example of how much he is eating! He does eat solids too. He has breakfast, lunch, dinner and he also has little snacks during the day. He usually eats two things of baby food for dinner then has a bath and his bedtime bottle. Lately he has been getting up every few hours crying. He started this about a month ago and i'm confused cause he never did that before.
    Kaleb2008

Answer by Kaleb2008 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I found this for you:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_864.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thank you for caring enough to look around for me!
    Kaleb2008

Answer by Kaleb2008 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009