anyone familiar with adhd?

I think my 3 yo may have adhd..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister had it when we were growing up. My parents almost got a divorce over it. In her case, it was WAY more that her just being hyper. She could never sit still, she had ticks and emotional problems. She had to be placed in special classes at school cause she couldn't keep friends.
    Anonymous

• Well the doctors cannot diagnose a child with ADHD until they are at least 4 years old. My daughter has it and has been diagnosed since she was 4 and she is now 6. I promise you the medicine helps great lengths however you have to make sure that is what is wrong with them. My son had problems but however his is not ADHD - he is bipolar. You just have to make sure that your child gets diagnosed right w/o just putting them on medicine b/c it could harm them.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 12:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

•  My son had to be tested for adhd but he is 7 years old. To me your son is just 3 years old kids that age are really active.What are the signs that he is doing to think he might have this? And also stay away from red cool aid or any thing red ,they say the red dye can make kids hyper.

FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 1:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• they won't test until at least age 4. i have ADHD. at this point i would just chalk it up to him be a litlle boy. if you still think he has ADHD at age 4, then get him tested.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• As someone else said, avoid foods with red dye, that is known to intensify adhd symptoms. Also, limit his exposure to high stimulation environments like busy stores (like walmart and costco) and keep the TV off if nobody is watching it and limit his tv time to about 30 minutes a day. Encourage him to play active games and use his imagination. Let your doctor know you are concerned, but see if simple changes in routine and environment make things better.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son was having problems the first three years of school with behavior, he was also hyper. When we took him to a nerologist they said he had asperger syndrome. I felt that they were wrong. Then it took the school sending him to a psyhciatrist and he diagnosed him adhd and odd (oppositional difiant disorder) which sometimes goes with adhd. But asperger and adhd has alot of the same issues but more social. Did u know that u can get ssi and medicade for a child with adhd? But i will tell u medicade sucks!
    jerseygirl0324

Answer by jerseygirl0324 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree that they can't and usually won't diganose at that age unless it is severe. I did work in Early Intervention and I saw 4 year olds on medication some of whom were so tired they couldn't function. I then saw others whose parents didn't get the diganoses and their kids would have benefited. It is a hard one to call but at 3 it is probably just the age.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009