If someone has a different opinion about the religion you practice and states it, is it an attack?

If an atheist says "god does not exist" or "god is a lie" is that an attack, or expressing their opinion?

If a Christian says "there is only one god in one being, not one god in a trinity" is that an attack, or expressing an opinion?

If a Muslim says "Jesus was a prophet, not a deity" is that an attack, or expressing an opinion?

If it's an attack, is it a personal attack against you, or a generalized attack against everyone who practices the same version of your religion as you?

Should people be penalized in any way (consequences of free speech) for verbalizing their own beliefs if they contradict someone else's?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:24 PM on May. 3, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I just nod and walk away.. i don't bring up religion or politics
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 4:27 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I don't think any of those are attacks. I don't agree with saying one is true or another is fals-but I son't see them as attacks

an attack *in my opinion* is when something is made personal
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:27 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Stating any of those comments in itself is not an attack. When those comments are followed by 'And any one that thinks so is an idiot, moron, retard, ignorant jackass, etc', is when it enters "ATTACK" territory.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:29 PM on May. 3, 2012

• It's all opinions
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:30 PM on May. 3, 2012

• If it's followed by a claim that they will stop you from believing the way you do,it's an attack
    If threat of physical violence follows-attack
    We're all free to feel as we do,and to express it. if you're going out of your way to disrespect someone( WBC for example) that's where the line is crossed. if you're just having a discussion,that's opinion.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:30 PM on May. 3, 2012

• No, merely stating one's own opinion is not an attack. It all comes down to HOW you share your opinion, though, you know? One of the examples I've experienced lately (in a group) comes down to the difference between saying that based on the way the OT is written someone comes to an unfavorable opinion as to the nature of God, versus outright claiming that God is a terrible tyrant and anyone associating with Him or xyz religion is equally reprehensible as a human being for believing in Him or the texts that paint him so terribly. OR then there's the difference between saying there is no logical proof for the existence of God that one can see, versus saying that anyone who believes is illogical or merely using faith as some sort of crutch. Same goes for Christians, though, in the difference between saying one may believe hell exists and outright claiming this or that denomination, religion, or individual is bound there...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:36 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I think the difference starts when we move from "I" statements (I believe that, or the way I understand, etc) to "other" statements (they're wrong or less than or damnable, etc). We are discussing *ideas* here, not people, you know?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:37 PM on May. 3, 2012

• We are discussing *ideas* here, not people, you know?

Which is what makes that collapsed answer in the question 2 below this all the more interesting. Doesn't mention anyone at all, not a single person of any belief, simply a statement of opinions, including the one that the Abrahamic god is a nice idea.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:39 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I think it depends on who you are talking to and how you state it and what is the nature of the conversation. I feel if you say I believe or I feel ......... that comes across more as an opinion. However just making some of those statements can be perceived as an attack. In all honesty I feel at first glance that the muslim comment comes across as more of an opinion than the other two.

Anonymous

• It's all in the delivery and the words chosen to convey the belief/non belief.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:46 PM on May. 3, 2012