? for those who had a pit fixed

My dog is about 1 year old and very very active lol I mean VERY active. He has a dr appt tomorrow to get fixed. I am of course doing it for other reasons than the energy level. But I was just wondering, if your pit is/was active, did fixing him chill him out? I am also waiting on a reply from a training center. He and I both need some obedience courses.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:46 PM on May. 3, 2012 in Pets

• It may or may not change his activity level. Obedience will work on you both if you are consistent and make it a part of your everyday life.Not knowing how often you walk him, I would walk him more frequent and purchase a dog backpack for him. Place a water,1 on each side, this will give him a job and is so helpful with active dogs. As the saying goes "a tired Pit Bull, is a good Pit Bull"!
    Spring poles are another way to exercise a dog. Challenging his brain will tire him almost as much as physical exercise
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 11:23 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Yes it chills them out. Good choice!
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:47 PM on May. 3, 2012

• at a year old, he's still a baby but getting him neutered is a step in the right direction, and the training will help alot too :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:50 PM on May. 3, 2012

• another reason i'm doing it...underground pit fighting happens alot around here :(
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:50 PM on May. 3, 2012

• It did a little, just make sure he gets plenty of exercise and play time.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:56 PM on May. 3, 2012

• my neighbors offered to fix the fencing on my entrance gate. My dog still manages to dive under it and escape down the street. today he ran across to the neighbors yard and attacked and terrorized the poor chickens. if I wasnt female or pregnant that man would have put a shotgun to my face. Gotta love south georgia country...... : /
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:59 PM on May. 3, 2012

• how long does it take for the operation to heal? do I need to bring anything ? will I need to carry him?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2012

• my female basset hound used to get out of the fence so i had to get my dh to pour cement and put the fence down in it so she couldn't dig out, but your dog would probally figure out how to climb over (mine is too short and fat) you could get a kennel with a cement bottom that has a top on it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2012

• my neighbor volunteered to work on the entrance fencing and fix up some of the fencing around the yard that is loose ontop! We will eventually maybe add some barbed wire ontop or just more pig fencing and add a fence in the middle of our yard to decrease the amt of room he can run around in so it wont be so overstimulating. first project is at least to fix the entrance area
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:10 PM on May. 3, 2012

• in the mean time you could put him on a chain. i know some people think it's mean but whatever. i put my dog on a 20ft chain until we got our fence fixed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:11 PM on May. 3, 2012