I have a question about my friend Altistic son.

He is almost 6 and still eats baby food. like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bananas and turkey and vanilla soy yogurt- sometimes she can get him to drink a thin smoothie. It even has to be one certain brand- he can tell the difference! Is this common? I worry about him... she does too. Plus it cost $500 a month just to feed him. since he eats 13-16 jars a day. He will not eat home made versions either... The therapist has been working with him for 3 years with very little change... I just wont to know if there are other kids this extreme.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on May. 3, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Autistic children very often have issues with textures and the way things feel in their mouths.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:32 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Yeah,this is not a strange thing really. you should see what my autistic son won't eat due to taste/texture and oral sensitivity issues

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:39 PM on May. 3, 2012

• but only 4 kinds of food for 5 years? How is he not malnurished? And my friend is totally stressing because she can't afford to feed him. it takes all of his SSI (after his 2 private therapies) and 1/2 of their families little bit of food stamps to buy his food and they will loose the FS in a few months when her DH gets promoted. She is scared to death.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on May. 3, 2012

• That stuff you mentioned isn't bad stuff. You'd be amazed at what kids can live on and thrive
    Sounds like he needs some intense Occupational therapy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:53 PM on May. 3, 2012

• he goes to a special school and get is there (I don't know how much) plus she takes him 2 times a week to private therapy. I guess I was hoping someone would have some ideas so she could be able to afford to feed him... I feel so bad for them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:55 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I think you are doing everything you can. An IEP program is essential for a child with
    Autism. Read up on the Autism Spectrum. It's quite intriguing and there are many brilliant people out in the
    world, who has this difference. It takes patience, compassion, love and a good routine that adjusts well with his special needs.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 6:12 PM on May. 3, 2012

• ALTISTIC.

What?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 6:16 PM on May. 3, 2012

• This is common. My son used to have a lot of issues with food textures. Now he is 13 and is a lot better, but he still has some issues.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:33 PM on May. 3, 2012