My child isn't reach the carseats length to forward face, can I do it anyway?

My son reaches the weight and the age requirements for forward facing but the seat instructions says he/she needs to be 34" or taller before forward facing. Am I wrong in switching him anyway. He is 29". We are in for a 18hour drive in Feb. and it would make things easier if he could face forward. Would you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to use your best judgement. I understand wanting him to be occupied and happy on such a long trip, but maybe there are other things you can do like get him a new coloring book or toys and a mirror.
    It is safest for him to be rear facing. There is a lot of new research that supports extended rear-facing. How would you feel if something DID happen and he got hurt or got hurt worse because he was forward faced?
    I also think that you making an exception, even if it is just once, it will make it hard to switch back to rear-facing.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 3:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i would switch him.
    Anonymous

• No.
    My son is under 5% on the percentile for his height. It is OK to change it.
    My son is now 19 months old and is only 29 inches and i changed him in his foward facing when he was 12 months and he was only 23 inches long.
    Its ok.
    nicoleladams19

Answer by nicoleladams19 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Once your child has reached the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of the seat for rear-facing, she can ride forward-facing in a convertible seat. However, it is best for her to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of her car safety seat. She should ride in a forward-facing seat with a harness until she outgrows it (usually at around 4 years of age and about 40–65 pounds).

(from the AAP website)

Are you sure you're reading the manual right? What kind of car seat is it?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• id change it too..
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i did it actually. when they were in carriers i had to take them out by no later than 3 months and put them in rear facing carseats then by about 9 mo to a year i turned them. when they can sit up properly is basically when i did it.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is a Cosco Scenera and it states that for rear-facing its for 5-35lb and 19-36" and for forward facing22-40lbs and 34-43" and over 1 year.
    My son is 23lbs and 29". I really did plan on keeping him rear-facing longer adn I may just go back to it after the long trip. I just wanted other opions, to see if I'm wrong in doing this or not.
    Anonymous

• I think that for a long car trip, unless you are sitting back there w/him the whole time - maybe forward facing is OK?

Whatever you choose will be wrong anyway - that's what I always think.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Not if he doesn't reach the minimum height, I wouldn't. There's a reason they give seats a minimum height...safety.

If he gets close to the weight maximum and has not yet reached 34" then you may need to search for a different seat.

The maximums and minimums are both designed to provide the safest seat for kids...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't know a lot about height, just the weight. I will have to go check my manual. Why not just keep him rearfacing. The seat goes up to 35 pounds rearfacing and it's a lot safer anyway. No point in switching just because you're going on a trip. Just take lots of breaks and he'll be fine :)
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009