OUCH! Could this do damage?!

My daughter has been throwing many fits lately, over stupid stuff, like me telling her "No, we dont put our hands in the VCR." Well her new thing in her fits is to throw herself down onto the floor rly hard. She goes straight down and hits her poor little forehead. Could this do damage? How do I stop her from doing it?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's actually pretty common for toddlers to bang thier heads on the floor during a tantrum. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for us to watch.

I set up a time-out spot in the middle of an area rug. I went out and bought a piece of that super foamy anti-slip stuff that goes under area rugs to help make it more cushy. When my daughter starts to throw a tantrum, I take her right to her time out spot. Then, if she starts to bang her head, it's at least on something a little padded. She only did it a few times though and now usually just sits there and screams. Ah.... toddlerhood.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i would catch her before she falls & set her down to express her anger. there are all kinds of different parenting ways but at least be sure to keep her from physical harm.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:44, Im sure she doesnt purposely let her child hurt themselves. Toddlers throw themselves down so fast that it's sometimes impossible to "catch" them and lots of times trying will only make them fall worse.
    Anonymous

• haha yeah, I have tried catching her. Its near impossible because sometimes the tantrums come out of nowhere and I dont even see it coming. I would never purposely let her hurt herself. Why would I be asking this question if I didnt care about her getting hurt?
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with Kaycee14, it's pretty common for kids to bang into things when they're having tantrums. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It won't take too many bumps before she realizes that having a fit hurts and doesn't get her anything :P Just make sure you don't let her win, because if she sees that you give her what she wants when she does it, then she won't stop.
    SherriPontious

Answer by SherriPontious at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Unless she's bruised or bleeding she's probably tugging your heart strings a little. Just let her have it, walk away. Don't re-enforce the negative behavior by responding to it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009