two questions. i have a whole chicken i bought last week and put it in the fridge. the date says SELL by jan 20.. is it still good??? AND how do i make a whole chicken in the oven lol

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• No, don't use it a week past the sell by date. When in doubt, throw it out.

Answer by Bmat at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If you had frozen it, then it would be okay, but I wouldn't use it now. Does it have any kind of a funny smell?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ummmm...I wouldn't trust it. that is like a full seven days past the sell point. You will just have to smell it to see. You heat oven to 375 put softened butter salt and pepper in a bowl and mix then you smeer the butter mix on and inside the bird. I lift up the skin to get butter underneath as well. Bake for the amount depending how big it is. They should have times by weight of a bird in your average cookbook.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 12:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If it has only been in the fridge i prop wouldn't use it. I am real scared of chicken. You may can smell it and decide. if you bought it like thurs of fri, it may still be ok but any longer than that i prob wouldn't
    Anonymous

• If you froze it , it's OK to use. If you just stuck it in the frig for a week. I would throw it away. I personally only leave unthawed meat in the frig for only 2 days. Sometimes it takes that long for it to thaw out.

Answer by louise2 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with the others. If it's been in the fridge this whole time then I wouldn't trust it... smell or no smell. If it was frozen then it's fine.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wouldnt use it, but in case u do you can rub some salt, pepper, rosemary and a little garlic on it then bake it.;
    Karen_evans60

Answer by Karen_evans60 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When in doubt, throw it out.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009