If you (or your family) has done any genealogy research, how far back have you gotten?

Where are you stuck?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on May. 3, 2012 in Just for Fun

• I did some, but on my dad's side of the family most of the records were lost in a fire. I haven't tried any of the paying websites yet, like Ancestry.com. I might if I decide I really want to pursue it. I have a good bit of info on my mom's side of the family because there is actually a book about them, listing the genealogy.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:26 PM on May. 3, 2012

• My mom has an old book somewhere that goes back quite a bit in the geaneology.....hey I wonder if Kmath and I are related...LOL.......there are "Rumors" that our line has been traced back to Queen Wilhelmina, King John, and Erik the Red though I do not recall the authenticity of such claims, but it is nice to pretend!

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:30 PM on May. 3, 2012

• My maternal side is the one I've had the most luck with an have gotten back as far as the early 1700's.

My paternal side is a nightmare. My great grandmother and grandmother were Cherokee, my grandfather was born in the Oklahoma Territory but there is no birth certificate and I can't get any further back than his parents.

I did learn something interesting though. My mother's sister died very young; at 26. The family lore has always been that she had a seizure in the shower and, somehow, hit the cold tap, scalding her severely. She died a few days later.

The TRUTH is that they found her drowned in a bathtub in her apartment in Dallas. She was found by her landlord. There was a fairly significant investigation into her ex husband at the time but they never could break his alibi. Further, she was found dead. She didn't die a few days later. I have NO idea why the truth is embarrassing. Divorce probably
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:35 PM on May. 3, 2012

• On my mom's side I got as far back as my great-great grandparents from really small towns near Odessa. They were all born in the early-mid 1880's. And when we were looking at old family photos my grandfather used to say he was having too much fun to pay attention to who anyone was.

We can go back farther on DH's family, which is amazing. FIL was a Holocaust survivor and much of his family was destroyed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:35 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Both sides of my family (my mom and my dad) have books that go way back to when the families were in Europe. I've seen copies and have been offered copies, but as I said in another post here today...I just have no interest.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2012

• con't

I found the newspaper accounts of her death and, to this day, my mother says "Well, I never knew any of that" LOL I know she knew but, it's just one of those family things, I suppose.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I have one branch that goes back to the 900's - that's because of an ancestor who was an officer in the Revolution, so the tree has been done to death and published a few times over through the DAR and the Scottish clan he was descended from. Everywhere else, it's stuck at the level of great-great grandparents, and some on DH's side, only at great-grandparents.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:39 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Stuck on my dad's dad. Everything else goes back to early 1800's.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:43 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I don't know Kristi do you have any cherokee in you? Brawn and I might be distantly related though!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:45 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I don't know Kristi do you have any cherokee in you?

Yes on my Mother's side
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 PM on May. 3, 2012