LAMO!! My DD imaginary friend is a bad influence... (I almost forgot to tell you guys this!!)

So we are driving down the street and DD4 says to my DH " slow down Daddy- you're not a drunken elephant" Now this totally threw us. we thought we heard her wrong so we had her repeat it... like TEN times... then we tried to say other words like 'sinking elephant?' or Shrinking elephant?' Nope. She said drunken. WE asked her where she had heard this. She tells us Angry Leah (her imaginary friend) taught it to her. Now my child only watches PBS- is not in pre-school-and no it was not from Dumbo... she has no idea what drunken means! But we CRACKED up! Where in the world did she hear this!? Have you heard it before??

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:33 PM on May. 3, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids say the darndest things...lol. There is no telling where she heard it.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:29 PM on May. 9, 2012

• I have no idea, but that has my cracking up! Or should I say cracking out?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:11 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I wonder if it's just something misheard, an approximation she made? Things like that happen with my sons (age 3) where it's clear they misheard something & create their own "saying."

There's a line in a song (about the zydeco musician Boozoo Chavis) that goes simply, "Boozoo, he's all that you can stand." My boys both sing, "Boozoo, he's on the chicken stand." Now if one of them just pulled out "Stop, mama. You not on the chicken stand" I would have NO CLUE what that came from or meant, but he'd just be using something from his personal lexicon. They adapt things from books all the time, and apply them to their play or our activities, and sometimes I can place it but sometimes I can't (if it's distorted it's even harder!)

The other day, one of my twins wanted to stop for a sandwich & kept telling me to turn around or I'd "be out of a job." Took me a long time to recall that is a phrase from the book "Bedtime for Frances"!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:06 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Lol!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:49 PM on May. 3, 2012

• LOL, I have no idea how she could have picked it out. Maybe it was a casually mentioned word in a conversation you and DH had?

Today, my granddaughter got the giggles over something I said and she said "Grandma, you crack me OUT!"
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:44 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Kids says the most off the wall things sometimes.. but that is funny
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:39 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Lol! The radio in the car maybe? Idk! Kinda funny though!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:38 PM on May. 3, 2012

• I have no clue where DS gets have the phrases he learns from. There are a couple that are questionable, but for the most part they just make me laugh. He says he gets them from his dad, but I can't see him saying some of the stuff that comes out of DS' mouth. I am sure he got some of it from the kids at school and just doesn't want to tell me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2012