HOW CAN I GET THEM TO STOP IT!!! Need help ASAP!

These certain people in our small town talk about us constantly; we generally laugh their crazy talk off. It is getting much worse and their stories are insane even more now!

They tell people that our computer was confiscated by the FBI for child porn (not true cause I am typing on it now). They are now telling people that our garage/car fire was a meth lab blowing up. They say we are on drugs; they are the ones on drugs, etc, etc.

How can I get them to STOP talking about us. We do not associate with them at all but they are obsessed with making up horrible stories that contain no fact all all.

Any ideas please ladies. I am desperate!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• You can sue them for defamation of character. Other than that, probably nothing. Just ignore them. If they get a reaction out of you, then they'll never quit.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would go to the police station and ask them what they suggest. If they have no suggestions, go the court house and ask how to file slander charges.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Call a lawyer... if there is no truth to any of it then you can take legal action.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If you were into meth surely it would show in the way you lived or looked. So continue to look and live as you are and it will dawn on people that these are lies.

Answer by Bmat at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would just ignore them. And wish them away. Not much else I think you can do.

Answer by louise2 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Document everything and call the police. These people are putting your family at risk with these lies. Do you have any witnesses that have heard them say these things? This is very serious. We almost lost our kids because my DH's ex made reports to CPS with similar lies.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• why are they making up these things about you? is it because you have tattoos or something and they're all judgmental? or is it because something happened and now they think everything you do is horrible? or is it maybe because they just don't know you at all and are bored and like to gossip?

i would think the best way to really get it to stop is to get involved in things that they involve themselves in, or like a town thing. get involved in the community for something you care about and are interested in, then soon enough once a few people get to know you a little then it will be obvious that you aren't drug addicts and child pornography addicts and they'll just have to find someone who actually does stupid things like that to talk about
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 12:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Be very careful around those people. Did you see that true story on lifetime about the neighbor who started rumor about the parents abusing their kids (not true at all, just rumor). Anyway, make long story short social service ended up taking their kids. They went through so much crap to prove that they are innocent.

Maybe try to be nice first? Bring those key gossipers some food?

Good luck!
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 12:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ya i have the same problem .i have learned that people are stupid and like to talk.you can get them for slander if you can prove what they are saying..people can really say just about anything.my neighbor flipped me off twice.all the policeman said 1st admendment...as long as they dont come on your property they can do just about anything.so people are still talking about us...and all we can do is sit back and do nothing...good luck.
    Anonymous

• i think most people they are talking too are like yeah right says you the meth head. i thnk most people will be able to gauge who looks more honest and innocent. you can tell a meth head when you see one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009