Homeschooling... where do you start?

I'm seriously considering homeschooling and I'm wondering if anyone can advise me of any programs that are worth looking into. I'd like to see what kind of pre-planned curriculum there is available and what my options are. If anyone has any resources they'd like to share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 7:55 AM on May. 4, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to your library and ask about Amy homeschooling groups. Our library has one,
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:25 AM on May. 4, 2012

• My niece uses an assortment of things. Here is a list. You can Google them and see tons of info. GL

Language: Oak Meadow, Enki, A Little Garden Flower
    Math: RightStart
    Science: Let's Read and Find out Science Series (Amazon)
    Social Studies: does her own thing for this
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:46 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Also, check out this link............

http://www.hslda.org/

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:49 AM on May. 4, 2012

• many of the homeschoolers are religiously based and influenced. not sure if that's what you're looking for (not for me...)

my cousin uses connection academy (google it) with his son after looking into many things and that's where i plan on starting when DS is a little older.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:55 AM on May. 4, 2012

• The first step is learn what your state laws are, /www.hslda.org/laws/">HSLDA offers a nice summary of all the state laws on their site. Then the next step is to approach curriculum shopping the way you would car shopping. Get an idea of what you want, religious, non-religious, all planned out, you do the plans, etc and PRICE range? What are you willing to spend? Once you have that figured out then you can go looking, google curriculum site. It's also expo time. See if there is a homeschool expo, convention near you and go if you can. Also go to your library an check out books about homeschooling and start reading. They will have suggestions in them too. Lastly find local co-op and start networking with local homeschoolers. You might be able to find local homeschoolers via yahoo groups, facebook groups/pages, your local library and /www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/">homeschool classifieds
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:58 AM on May. 4, 2012

• The links didn't work like I wanted. Oops.

/www.hslda.org/laws/">HSLDA site for homeschooling laws and Homeschool Classifieds.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:59 AM on May. 4, 2012

• UGH it did it again. I don't know what's up today. Here's the HSLDA again. Hopefully this time it will work.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:00 AM on May. 4, 2012

• well first try to decide how you want to homeschool - there are different methods/styles.

Education.com is a great free website and so is lessonpathways.com and starfall.com ( I would pay for morestarfall.com)

start by spending extra time with your kid doing school work and use the above sites and see how that works
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:57 AM on May. 10, 2012