Stop getting frustrated with 1 year old!?

How do you p from getting frustrated with a 15 month old? I'm a single mom of a very ornery boy.. He is such a good kid for being that young, but my patience have dusappeared and I don't know why. Either way the word no is only listened to when he wants, redirection has stopped working, and I don't want to spank....Someone with experience please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 4, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Please give some examples of his actions and your reactions for better advice. This is really too general.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:17 AM on May. 4, 2012

• try time outs. What I have been doing is have him look you in the eyes, tell him 'we do not do ___", give him a little swat and put him in the corner for one minute. Once time out is over have him look at you again and repeat "we do not do ___". Everytime he gets out of time out put him back and add a minute.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 8:18 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Well, the patience disappearing is probably stress. I'm a single mom of two, and I know how stressful it is. My patience disappears sometimes, too. Do you have friends or relatives who could babysit for a few hours now and then to give you a break from being a mom and work and everything else, so you can go out with friends or just take a bubble bath? I'd start there.

As for him...kids test boundaries. If old methods of discipline aren't working, explore new ones. Find new ways to get him to understand that when you say no or stop, you mean it. Also, look at the situations in which you're saying no - if it's something you can eliminate (say, putting something up out of reach so he'll stop grabbing for it), go ahead and do it. Yes, you might think you shouldn't have to do that, that you should be able to tell him no and have him listen. But sometimes it's about reducing your stress level.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:21 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I know it's general because there's not much he don't do. Running in the road, trying to pull tv over, throwing toys at my face, trying to ride dogs, climbing on the counter and throwing everything off, standing on the edge of the bath tub, spitting, climbing behind tv and pulling all the cords out, just everything. And no don't work unless he feels like listening. I praise him when he does listen though. Im just getting to the point where moving him and no that's bad fifty times in ten minutes is frustrating me and I start screaming instead of discipline him the right way and I snatch him up instead of just moving him and redirecting him. I'd never beat him or anything I don't even believe in whipping. And please don't say anything about ChildProofing stuff, IT IS and he can get around it all!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Thanks Wendythewriter, I already do move things out of reach and out of sight. He just climbs to find it or anything. He is now stacking things to reach the door handles.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I have a 15 month old too and if i think its hard even though his dad helps me i cant imagine being a single mom. At this age they want to get into everything and thats normal but dont let him do just what he wants tell him no and for him to understand because when there older its harder for them to listen. I feel like that to so frustrated or stressed out but thats part of being a mom and what we have to go through it will get better.
    MayraB123

Answer by MayraB123 at 8:33 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Timeout. I always sat mine either in their rooms or on the stairs until they could play nicely/share toys/stop hitting/etc. The first few times it took a while for them to calm down because they didn't understand what the point was, but they pick up on it pretty quickly and now my youngest at 20 months it only takes a "do you need to sit on the stairs?" and she stops what she's doing.
    IMO, doing timeout for a set period of time isn't as helpful as doing it until they are ready to change their behavior. Many people do 1 min/the child's age, I do it for however long it takes them to decide they are going to behave. It's totally up to them whether it lasts 1 minute or 10.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I've raised 3 children and am helping raise 7 grandchildren, and I've been on the earth almost 66 years. There is no discipline as effective as spanking, and when it is done correctly, you can have well-behaved children 99% of the time. There will always be the occasional testing just to see if you still really mean what you say. You are able to tell a child once. There are no threats, no counting, no anger--because the goal is to train the child to obey and respect, not to punish. Therein lies the difference. Children need and even crave boundaries that are consistently enforced. That gives them security and a sense that they are loved. Spanking has gotten a really bad reputation because some people have abused and called it spanking. There's a huge difference between the two, but you have to decide whether you want to bite the bullet for a little while or not. Some of what your child is doing is dangerous for him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:38 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Ahhh, one of Those kids. I have a handful of them- it gets better :)

The time out worked for me. But it's only for a minute because of his age. And you really need a break too. Snatching him up and screaming. Poor momma.

Here:
    http://www.supernanny.com/

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:40 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Get some books out of the libray like Harvey Karp's books on toddlers and Dobson's books on stong willed children.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:40 AM on May. 4, 2012