Can you believe this?

Dad sues school district after son is punished for cheating

‚ÄčA father is suing his son's Northern California school district for throwing the boy out of an honors English class after he was caught cheating. The sophomore at Sequoia High School in Redwood City copied someone else's essay, which aside from being just plain wrong, also goes against the "honesty pledge" students sign at the beginning of the class, making it explicitly clear that any cheating will result in expulsion from honors courses. Clear cut, right? Well, the dad is pointing out a conflicting school policy that says students won't be punished for cheating until the second time they're caught. Um, can the second incidence of cheating be this dad trying to cheat the school system and bend the rules for his kid

http://now.msn.com/living/0428-cheater-sues-school.aspx

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 8:37 AM on May. 4, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• wow! but yes, I can believe it.  What that father doesn't understand is the lesson he is teaching his child. What I want to teach mine is honesty and integrity. that means no cheating. Also, I want them to learn about accepting responsibility for your actions, or not suing for a fair application of a rule.

I taught for 2 years at a university during graduate school. I saw so much academic dishonesty. the worst was a student that ended up getting expelled because he tried to cover up his offense. the evidence was overwhelming. On a test, he had solved a problem correctly. then he wrote down and circled the wrong answer of his neighbor. His actions, generating false evidence to cover up the issue and his threats to me got him expelled.

zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 8:47 AM on May. 4, 2012

• It is sending the wrong message to the student. But, what message is the school sending if it doesn't follow it's own rules...?
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 8:52 AM on May. 4, 2012

• good luck with that...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:52 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I think this is the kind of kid JJB was talking about in another thread and got some downvotes for.

I can't imagine this happening just a generation ago, not to mention two generations ago.  There is a huge disconnect somewhere.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:12 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Wow... Dad thinks HIS child is entitled to get away with cheating the FIRST time. Sues school. What is the lesson HE is teaching his child? Death of Common Sense in Parenting.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:38 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Yes I can. We live in a society that believes in sueing for everystupid thing, who is media hungry and who hink their kids are always right.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:33 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Sme people! So ridiculous but sadly, I am not shocked.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2012