Has anyone ever heard of abdominal migraines?

My 5 yr old son has episodes of vomiting , diaharrea and bad stomach pains. They last for about an hour then go away, he goes to sleep for about an hour then wakes up totally fine.We took him to a specialist and they said it was abdominal migraines that in younger children they don't have the headaches but have the other stuff that later on the headaches will develope. This just blew my mind i had never heard of this before, just wondering if anyone else has.

rsilver828

Asked by rsilver828 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Health

• I never heard of that before.. but I guess it might make sense.. However, I would definately get a second opinion and do some research before accepting that diagnose.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes! My daughter gets them all the time. We couldn't figure out why her stomach would hurt so badly sometimes. The doctor finally said it was due to abdominal migraines. He also said that she may be prone to migraine headaches in the future. He was also not surprised when I told him I get them. I guess it can be hereditary.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My daughter gets them too..She is in agonizing pain when she gets them. There's been times I have had to take her to the ER so she can get some pain medicine. Hers usually will last several hours and it frustrates me that there is nothing I can do to help her. We call them "stomach attacks". Her pediatric gastroenterologist told us that she will probably get migraines when she is older too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Have either one of u ever had the doctor try them on migraine meds? my sons doctor wants do do that with him.
    rsilver828

Answer by rsilver828 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Our doctor told us it was an option, but we decided to watch it closely first. She's 10 now and slowly growing out of them. We've always used Motrin and alternating ice and heat.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009