Is this normal?

My 4 and 1/2 year old sonlays with a baby doll,changes its diaper and feeds it from a doll bottle changes its clothes every day and it even has a carseat for in the car people tell me its not normal for a boy to play with dolls but i dont see any harm in it it helps him learn how to act around real babies and he makes sure it is strapped into its seat in the car cause he knows that is the rule in the car. People also say he shouldn't have the doll he has as it is anatomically correct, but he already knows the differance in boys and girls, am i wrong?

XandersMomma07

Asked by XandersMomma07 at 11:24 AM on May. 4, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. Playing with dolls helps with social skills and empathy not to mention the dressing and undressing helps develop his small motor skills. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:27 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I don't know why it is socially acceptable for girls to play with cars and legos but not socially acceptable for a boy to play with dolls. Isn't that a double standard? My neighbors boy played with Barbies when he was that age. He just turned six and had traded his dolls for Transformers, no pressure from parents.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 11:29 AM on May. 4, 2012

• I would never buy my son a baby doll with accessories. I would by him GI joes, stuff animals, etc. However I would never buy him a baby doll and all the accessories to go with that baby doll. With that said I would NOT care if he played with his sister's dolls. I would not care if he played with the dolls at daycare, aunt's house, or grandma's. I just would never buy him a baby doll.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2012

• My youngest child, a boy, would play with his sister's barbies and bratz dolls at that age. Mostly in the bath, and I'm sure that they were pirates, but he loved them.

And now at 7 he is fascinated with babies. We spent a weekend with some friends who had a 15 month old. My son would do anything for this baby - get her a snack, books, her shoes. He was allowed to "watch" her for a few minutes while mom ran to the bathroom (they were in a room with other adults but he didn't seem to notice.)

I think it's awesome that your son is that loving and caring. Great job mama!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:35 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Nothing wrong with it. My almost 3 yr old boy has his on baby boy doll
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:35 AM on May. 4, 2012

• BTW I didn't buy the doll it was given to him and the carseat is just his old outdated infant seat and the clothes are just his outgrown baby clothes the only thing i bougt was the toy bottles at the dollar store and the diapers came from a yard sale for 1.00 for a whole new bag
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on May. 4, 2012

• Doesnt matter if you bought him the stuff or not. I bought by DS the baby boy doll. He loves it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:49 AM on May. 4, 2012

• you can see photos on my profile
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Awww cute. I don't see anything wrong with it at all! In fact, I think all little boys should be taught these kinds of domestic things so that when they grow up and become real daddies they aren't so freakin' clueless and helpless!!
    I really don't understand why people have such an issue with boys playing with baby dolls. Hey, maybe he'll grow up to be a pediatrician! That's something to be proud of, isn't it?
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 2:35 PM on May. 4, 2012

• My son had dolls and stuffed animals that he took care of (he nursed them because I nursed but same thing) and there is NOTHING wrong with it. At that age they don't really know gender roles too much and I am glad for it. He is learning how to care for a baby which he may well need some day!!!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:35 PM on May. 4, 2012