vaccines?

have any of you read the information on vaccines? i did, and it scared me and made me even more confused than before. my daughter is 19 months i stopped vaccinating at 12 months, she was getting ear infections left and right she was on antibiotics atleast 2 times a month for ear infections. since we stopped vaccinating she hasnt gotten ear infections not one, and some of those vaccines can cause ear infections. my question really is, if you read all the information did it scare you and confuse you more? and do you think the benefits outweigh the risks? im just looking for opinions, im not wanting anyone to tell me what to do or what not to do. i know its something for her doctor, me and my husband to talk over. oh and we are vaccinating for all the major ones......just some to me arent necessary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I watched a whole segment on TV a while back about vaccines causing autism. This couple they interviewed claimed that their son could talk fine and normal until age 2. All of a sudden, he stopped communicating and after tests was diagnosed with autism. They believe it's the vaccines that caused it. Although, my friend said that my daughter won't be able to get in schools w/out proper vaccinations. UGH!
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 1:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Your friend is wrong. Your children can go to school without vaccines. You just have to sign a waiver stating that you believe vaccines are wrong.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Anywho, you do not get Autism from any vax because even parents who don't vax have children with autism so I really wish people would stop saying that. Yes I believe the benefits outweigh the risk. Just look at the decline in deseases. No they aren't gone but they probably are 90% less than they used to be.

Anonymous

• I believe that the medicine is meant to do everything that it can to make your child as healthy as possible. They wouldn't give shots where they aren't needed. They are usually only given for things that can be life threatening. I get my dd vaccinated. We've never had any side effects other than a little bruising and the fact that she gets sluggish for a day. I have 3 nephews and 3 nieces, they have all been vaccinated w/o a single one having any side effects. I did read the information, and I freaked out a bit. I was just being a worried mom. So far I've worried for nothing. It is a personal choice. For schooling purposes they do like you to have the big vaccines take care of, but you do have to sign the waiver if they don't have all of their shots up to date. Some preschools I've found won't take children that aren't vaccinated though, so just keep that in mind.
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• There is no scientific proof that vaccines cause autism. They have done a great amount of research on that subject alone to try to ease parents. Unfortunately autism is still a bit of a mystery to medical professionals. But the good news is, they are making advancements everyday
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• make sure when you research you get all sides of the argument. there is alot to it. i have read every article i can find, i don't beleive that vaccines are a direct cause of autism. i don't vax tho. i have other reasons.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't believe vaccines cause autism, nor do I believe they cause ear infections.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i didnt say they cause autism, i didnt say they cause ear infections either, i just thought it was weird that she had ear infections out the hooha and when i stopped getting her vaccinated for everything under the sun they stopped too. it may be because of them and it may not be i dont know. but i just thought it was weird. and when i did research i looked at all sides. where i live there are doctors who dont vaccinate at all and some who do ive talk to both sides and got alot of information. it still scared me though.
    Anonymous

• There are so many coincidences in life....and it's human nature to look for a cause to each and every one! (oh yeah...I do it!! lol)

One must make sure sources of information are reliable and go to the actual SOURCE in the case of "reported in studies"...read the study.

I like the site www.stats.org They are an unbiased group which look at studies and reports on studies and write honest reports comparing the two.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't vaccinate. I don't feel the benefits outweigh the risks. Keep reading and doing what you feel is right. DOn't let anyone push you to vax when you see all the scary things. And you can put her in school, you'll just have to file for a vaccine exemption.

The group Choosing Not to Vaccinate here on cafemom may be of some help to you as well :-)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009