My 4.5 yr old acts like a baby!?

I have a 4.5 year old boy and a 1.5 year old girl. My son just keeps acting like his sister. does the same things and even tries to talk like a baby. How do i fix this without punishment? At first i was thinking we gave our daughter to much attention so we start doing things with him. We go to the park, walks, play board games. dinner every sunday and i have been working with him alot to prepare him for school. I really feel like we give both of children equal amount of attention. Their father doesnt spend as much time with our son as he should because he works 12 hour days and on the weekend he is usually busy with house work and doing his music work. I think that may be the issue. i really have no idea. But this baby thing is annoying. In public people will say hi or your so cute. and he'll make a goofy smile and say mmmmh. like he doesn't know how to talk..? give me some suggestions.

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 12:04 PM on May. 4, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• preacherskid I LOVE your idea! I am going to talk to daddy about it as soon as he gets home from work! i think that will work for him! yes & its funny because he loves veggietales. his favorite is animal planet. so i think i will try to subsitute animal planet for "my baby can read," which is what is sister watches. lol
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 4:14 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Preacherskid has the right idea!
    Theresesmom

Answer by Theresesmom at 10:48 PM on May. 5, 2012

• We go with "act like a baby, treated like a baby". You would be amazed how fast a four year old will start acting like a four year old again when told that she will be treated like a baby if she wants to- a baby doesn't watch cartoons, get special snacks, games, toys, or privileges. we had that with our niece when older dd was a baby, and our older dd has tried that once or twice- turns out getting skittles or picking a Veggietales movie to watch is tons more fun than sitting on the couch eating dry cheerios lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:52 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Ignore
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:06 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Ignore it, he'll outgrow it. Try not to give him attention for it, but give him attention when he acts mature. Don't punish for it, that's just giving him attention toward it. My 16 year old acts like my 9 year old a lot of the time!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on May. 4, 2012