15 Weeks, and won't sleep in his crib... His dad wants to put him on his belly

I have heard so much conflicting advice on letting your baby sleep on their stomach. Ours will not sleep on his back (he has "reflux" the pediatriction said), because he gets basically heartburn, and it seems like he is most comfortable on his stomach. It's so hard because he will cry for hours when we put him in his crib, even on his side. It's time for him to not be sleeping in our bed though. I think he would eventually fall asleep on his stomach but I wouldworry all night long. I can't let him cry for more than a few minutes either... I just feel so bad. So is the belly ok? How long do we let him cry?

Mindy418

Asked by Mindy418 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he can roll over to his stomach himself, then it's ok to let him sleep that way. Try elevating the head of the crib by putting a pillow under the mattress. If it were me, I'd just cosleep, but you say you don't want to do that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my second son couldn't sleep unless he was on his belly. i felt weird at first because of all the warnings, but he's always had a strong neck even from birth so i let him do it and he slept wonderfully ever since
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 1:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my daughter slept on her belly from day 1.. wouldn't do it any other way. I'd definitely say the belly is the way to go with reflux kids. they are so much more comfortable and spit up less. Don't worry about his crying, you have to find a way to tune it out.. put the monitor on the quietest setting and go somewhere where you can't hear the baby cry.. its hard but he has to learn how to do it himself. Elevating the head of the bed is a good idea too.. helps keep things settled in babies belly.. as long as you don't have blankets and pillows and stuffed animals in his crib he should be fine to sleep on his belly. If he can pick his head up and move it around then he'll be fine.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My first son would only sleep about 10 minutes at a time on his back....I was dead on my feet from exhaustion the second day home with him.

He slept for 3 hours straight on his bellly.

The next two, went right to their bellies.

But...after doing research and reading, we decided that was a good decision for US.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You DON"T let him cry. GOD, DON'T LET HIM CRY Are you kidding me? HE has health problems, he is only 15 weeks old, and you want to let him cry? If he has reflux you can prop him basinette matteress up by putting something under the MATTRESS so that it is at a slight angle to help with the reflux. Or let him sleep with you that way you are there and ready to help him and take care of his needs.
    How would you feel if you put him in his crib and he died of SIDS because you were not there to take care of him? THere is NO reason that you can't co-sleep for as long as HE wants, not what YOU want.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had reflux and would NOT sleep on her back or side. We tried raising the head of her bed, a sleep positioner, letting her sleep in her car seat... nothing helped. In the end, she fell asleep during tummy time one day. She slept for nearly 2 hours, the longest stretch she had slept since she was born 3 weeks earlier.
    What was I to do? Stick to the "rules" and try to force her to sleep on her back, dealing with the health problems that sleep deprivation can cause? Or let her sleep on her tummy and risk SIDS?
    I went out and bought the AngelCare Monitor and let her sleep on her tummy. She finally started to sleep a couple hours at a time. I slept worse since I was worried but she was finally getting some sleep, not much, but some and that was what mattered.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My daughter would not sleep on her back either. As soon as we put her on her tummy she slept right through the night =] ..Everyone in my family slept on their tummy as babies.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• why on earth would you not let a tiny sick baby sleep where he's comfortable & make him even more uncomfortable by crying through his painful reflux???? let him sleep with you & comfort the poor kid. he's in enough pain from his illness. he's in a traumatic new place compared to the womb. recline him & let him sleep with you. there's no such thing as too old & even if there were, 15weeks is certainly not it.
    Anonymous

• I was a back sleeping type of mom. And one afternoon my mom baby-sat my dd and laid her on her stomach. I walked in the door, went to check on her, she was fast asleep blissfully, but I freaked out. Then I came to realize that 20 years ago doctors used to tell moms to put babies on their stomach. Especially if he has reflux if would make sense. If her spits up he could choke if he's not able to get it out of his mouth. I worried for the first couple of weeks with the stomach sleeping but eventually it went away. As an adult I sleep on my stomach, and that's still how my dd falls asleep. And eventually he'll learn to roll over and sleep whichever way is more comfortable for him. We did the 10, 15, then 30 minutes between checking method. And within 7 days there was no crying at all. :) You could also try putting on some soothing music when you lay him down for the transition to help relax him. :)
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You don't try the let the baby cry route until they are over a year old.... when they can actully learn that they need to just lay down and go to sleep. Your baby wants to be on his belly.... my daughter is 5 months and been sleeping on her belly since day one because its more comfortable for her shes has reflux too... Belly is fine... Crying to sleep, not fine.
    JaciesMum

Answer by JaciesMum at 1:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009