whats the difference?

between step b in your urine or in your vagina...i was not swabbed, i was told i was positive through my urine...

34wks1day.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told the same thing...I think it is found in the urine...but as long as you have the IV during labor you and your baby will be fine...I had it in my last pregnancy and my son is alright...I found out last week have it in this one too, but all I need is the antibiotics.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'm not exactly sure of the different by I know that they should take some precautions when you deliver. My sister had it vaginally and she had a vaginal birth with her son, the step b infection actually caused him to be deaf because it attacked the first opening it could. It also happened to a friend of my sisters who has a child the same age. Be careful!
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• @colormecurvy,
    did your sister get the iv during labor?
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• WOW nobody knows!
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I had the strep b and had to have the iv my baby was fine perfectly healthy but beware the iv hurts worse than the delivery ever did and my baby weighed almost 11 pounds. Ask them to dilute the the medicine with saline it won't burn as bad.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• nope, they didn't give her the iv.... didn't even know she had that option. But it was also about 10 years ago and they've done much more research on the subject.
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I had strep B with my second baby and and to have antibiotics when I went into labor. Not sure what the difference is if you're diagnosed from your urine. Just make sure you know everything about it before you deliver.
    Anonymous