Does anybody else have a problem keeping the house clean?

i have like a serious problem keeping up with my house! I dont know if its because im young, we have definatly grown out of the place. It is a two bedroom 1.5 bathrooms townhouse. We just recently got a room mate. So we have 5 people in a 2 bedroom. Myself 21, my fiance 21, 4.5 yr old, 1.5 year old and our new room mate 25. We can not move until AUGUST! =( our lease is up then. I need some ideas on how to keep up with it! I feel like thats all i do with my days is work and clean! Main problem of course is people not cleaning up after themselves! the guys Do not help. but they both work 12 hour days and i work part time. At this point i want to throw everything in the trash!!! I am tired of cleaning this place and just to turn around and do it all again tomorrow. I just feel so crowded. and the kitchen is defiantly the worst part.

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 12:49 PM on May. 4, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Not like when my daughter was little and toys were everywhere. Now that she is a teen it is only her bathroom and her bedroom that is so messy ....
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:53 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Unless the guys start cleaning up after themselves I think it'll be a struggle. Even just making beds and putting their clothes in the hamper and dishes in the sink would be a help.

If there is any consolation there are only two of us here and I still have to clean everyday but I'm sort of a freak about it.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:54 PM on May. 4, 2012

• I do sometimes. One thing I believe is decluttering helps. If you have way too many clothes, and towels, and linens, it is just hard to keep them all clean and put away. We don't need as much as we have in this country.

Also, clean spaces (counters, shelves) look more clean and uncluttered than lots of knick knacks. I put away the toaster and coffeemaker when not in use, for example.

The worst for me because I dislike it, is mopping the floor. not sure why I dislike it, I think it's just a lot of work, but I love how it looks after. It gets dirty fast though with kids!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:54 PM on May. 4, 2012

• My house is never clean! Not because I don't work to keep it clean, but because I am one woman and there are 5 people in this house. And because I feel spending time with my kids and family is more important than scrubbing my floors.

Who says your house HAS to be perfectly clean anyways. If each room is getting a general cleaning at least once a week, your house isn't DIRTY, it's just lived in. No harm in that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on May. 4, 2012

• First of all, with 3 adults in the house, everyone should be required to do something towards keeping things neat. Fine, the others work 12 hour days, but it takes only minutes to put a dirty dish in the sink, wipe off a countertop or run a broom around the kitchen. Second, learn to live with "clean enough". Does everything need to be spotless all the time? No. Decide what is a priority and what can wait.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:14 PM on May. 4, 2012

• My house is the same way. I'll stay home and clean all day, then everyone comes home and it's a mess again. It's life, don't let it bother you so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on May. 4, 2012

• You are NOT the only one. But, it sounds like you need to put your foot down with the other two adults in the house. Call a meeting; divvy up the chores; make a schedule, and stick to it. It may be OK for you to take on the kid mess, but the rest should be divided equally.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:25 PM on May. 4, 2012

• 12 hour days? Cry me a river. They make the mess, THEY clean it up.

No mercy unless they are DEPLOYED... and if they were they wouldn't be around to make the messes. The problem isn't your age... it's the immature people sharing your home and until they start picking up their own crud, you won't ever see a change.

All that said... if it's clean enough that it's not a fire hazard or a hazard to the kids, you're fine.

flylady.net is a great resource for cleaning up and you can teach everyone the methods, even the kids.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on May. 4, 2012

• My kids make it impossible to keep it clean.. I clean up about 5x a day. But at the end of the day when DH comes home, the house is messy..
    RodeoMom87

Answer by RodeoMom87 at 1:41 PM on May. 4, 2012

• great advice! I just feel dirty when my house is dirty.. I try to live with it and not let myself stress over it but i do and i can't help it. i really wish i was more relaxed about it. I get embarrased when friends come over. lol i feel like i need everything perfect. i guess i care to much what people think about my house. especially the "in laws." so true just a part of life!
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2012