How do I get my three year old to go on the potty?

My son won't go on the potty.

KarenBatavia

Asked by KarenBatavia at 5:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some mothers may disagree but what I had to do was let my son run around the house naked. Clothing poses big problems for children their age so you have to make it easier for them. I also used a chart hanging on the bathroom door and set up a reward system with stickers. So once he got 10 stickers he got a surprise
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Consistancy, and sticking with it. Also, they are at the age where they know what they are doing I believe. So once they get it down it should be a peice of cake. But stick with it, don't show your frustrations which is the hardest part and keep on top of it. Put them on the potty eveyr hour at first, until they learn to go. Hope this helps but this is what I did with my two children. Good luck, its a long road.
    TJKUHN76

Answer by TJKUHN76 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I also did the run around naked method. This works best in the summertime. We kept the potty chair in the living room since our only bathroom is upstairs. Didn't use Pullups, they're just diapers with elastic in the waist. Boys take longer than girls, so I'm told. I just have boys, but the run around naked did work, took about 4 months.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We are potty training right now as well. We started off with a potty chair, my son had no interest in it. He wants to be on the big potty. My son is 2 1/2 and loves to go on the potty (when ever we take him he will go peepee). I was so proud, he will wipe, flush, put the lid down and wash his hands the hole routine. Our struggle is he won't tell us when he needs to go. He is taking off his diaper everytime it is dirty so he knows he doesn't like being dirty. All the sudden he will run into the living room naked from the waist down. We give him lots of applaud and highfives for being a big boy. It is happening, even if not as fast as I would like. My Mom said they all seem to get it before kindergarten. :) Keep trying and don't get frustrated. :)
    NorthCaliMama

Answer by NorthCaliMama at 5:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You will have to be patient. Keep putting her on it every hour and praise her when she goes. Give her a sticker or snack everytime she uses it. Always show her how proud you are of her when she goes. If she has an accident, tell her its ok, she will make it next time, let her see your confidence in her.
    greatmomandwife

Answer by greatmomandwife at 6:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 4 year old daughter has been trained for about a year my 3 year old daughter is in the process, we use stickers for potty and poop presents for poop. I buy little things from he dollar store and wrap them when she goes poop on the potty she gets to pick a present.
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have a special box of books in the bathroom and my daughter loves it when I read to her. It makes sitting on the toilet a special event and she gets to pick what books we read. I try to keep her favorite ones in there along with some books about children learning to go on the potty. It works great.
    NakylasMom

Answer by NakylasMom at 7:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008