would the father dog of his babies kill his own babies for any reason?

just asking cause i know finches have a bad habit of killing thier babies so i was wondering if the mother had baby puppies, would the father want to kill the babies at all?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• yes you need to seperate the dad from the puppies and mom for awhile or he will kill them. i don't know why but in my experience thats what happens
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• maybe its possible. id keep the new puppies away from him and every other dog in the house except for the mommy dog.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of the father dog doing this. So it would seem a good idea to keep them separated. It may be that the father thinks they are rivals, I don't know.

Answer by Bmat at 1:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Actually, the mother will eat them, if she is too young and inexperienced, or if something is wrong with the puppies. Usually, dogs instictively know what to do, but not always. My SIL had a AKC champion bloodline dog and did a lot of research to find the right female. The breeder claimed she at the dogs and in that situation, she didn't have to return his money.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 1:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Male dogs do not know the puppies are his. In the wild he doesn't see the pups till their eyes are open and the mother brings them out of the den for the first time. By then the male recognizes them as little dogs, not prey and won't eat them. Until the mother brings the pups out of the den, no other dog is allowed in, although the male and occasionally others will bring food to the mother.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My Lizzie and George had a litter of pups last March, and they did just fine with eachother. George really didn't take much interest in them, and during their introduction, Lizzie kept a close eye on George. Mama dog should be able to manage the puppies with papa dog around, and if she doesn't like him in there, she will let him know. if it becomes too much of a problem, yes, I'd suggest removing papa dog from close range, maybe when their eyes open you can introduce him to them one at a time. keep in mind he probably will growl, but that's to show dominance, not hate. If he doesn't like the puppies he'll leave. George always growled or snapped at them to leave him alone, then he walked away...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is a very GOOD idea to keep the mother and pups separate from other dogs/animals when they have their babies. This will keep the babies safe and will be less stressful for mom. When I had puppies, the mother and her babies were kept separate until the babies were old enough to eat dog food on their own. I'm not sure how other do it, but it's a good idea to keep mom/pups away from other animals when they are born.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 2:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Sometimes a male dog will kill puppies to try and get the mother dog to go back into heat, so he can mate with her again. A lot of animals do this... from lions to bears to rabbits. It's best to keep them away.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 3:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• there is a momma cat at my moms house who chased off her own baby- I guess she thought it was a rival for her food. it was old enough to survive without momma, but we never saw it again.

doesn't help with dogs though, sorry
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009