how do you break an 18 month old from a paci?

my son is 18 months old and we have been tryin for the last four months to break him of his paci but its so hard to do. Any suggestions out there?

tinker7407

Asked by tinker7407 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cut the nipple off his paci and then give it to him
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• gather them all up and throw them away he will only miss it for about a day then it will just be a memory to him. You just have to listen to him wine for a day and bed time might be alittle harder but it dont usually take more then one night.
    Anonymous

• You take all his pacifiers. Throw them in the trash. He will get use to not having one eventually.

Remember this is just my opinion.

Answer by louise2 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son's got a hole it in. I showed him the hole and told him that it was worn out and we had to throw it away. He watched me throw it away and he knew it was gone. It has been about four months now and he still talks about how the dump truck (what he calls the garbage truck) took his paci away. In the beginning he did tell me to go to the store to buy a new one but he knows that it is gone and doesn't ask anymore.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Cold turkey! When my daughter was 18 months old i told her to go throw her passy's away because she was not a baby anymore, she was a big girl! lucky for me, she threw them away and we watched the trash truck pick up the trash and she asked for it at her nap time that day with no crying and never asked for it again! but she only had it when she slept!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 4:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I weaned the passy use down over a few weeks to only being used in the crib at nap/bed time for my oldest. He wore a few out and we only had a few left. Then they just were not there one morning. He asked for them a few times but it really wasn't bad.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 1:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009