Ego vs Faith?

I understand and can respect one's beliefs, even those that include the concept of hell for certain people. I can respect and understand it even when you tell me about this aspect of your beliefs.
However, there has to be a sense of humility about it, IMO. If you start telling me how I better change my ways, how I better beg for forgiveness and get to know god or "else"....I find this to be more egotistical than relayed with a sense of humanity AND humility.

Isn't it about your own ego wanting so badly to strike down othes when you declare them "worthy" of your idea of hell?

Do you find there are better ways to tell others about hell? Or your god, and his/her/it's rules/tenants of living?
Of course, the ego gets in the way of most aspects of our lives LOL. Hence the thousands of problems we, as humankind, encounter on a daily basis. Our ego rules us when we allow it. It's very hard to break free of that very demanding, controlling aspect of ourselves. and just let all things "be" as they are and as they should be. Including individuals and their beliefs.

(someone touched on this in the post below, and it's something I wanted to discuss seperately from that post)

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:29 PM on May. 4, 2012 in Religious Debate

• not all "christians" are like that, if they have a need or want to try and make other people feel bad about not having the same beliefs, or try to scare them into being a christian, then they need to learn the definition of what a real christian is, jmo
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:32 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:32 PM on May. 4, 2012

• does it matter what words though elish?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on May. 4, 2012

• The church witnesses and God convicts. I think that some Christians get that backwards and presumes that we do the work of conviction. I would say that these same Christians take rejection of the Gospel personally where they shouldn't.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:34 PM on May. 4, 2012

Sure it does. Although for the some, it's the fundamental message of the Gospel that offensive, and no amount of tact will make it less offensive.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:36 PM on May. 4, 2012

• i missed the referenced post/answer..but in a nutshell, its not me, its God. its not about my ego, its about eternity.
    that you or anyone i 'witness' (however it is done, by word or deed) to accept or deny God is not on my shoulders. its on yours.
    all i can do is plant a seed.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2012

• I don't tell people that they are going to hell. I would never presume to know. I always hope for the ultimate mercy from God, for everyone
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:15 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Although for the some, it's the fundamental message of the Gospel that offensive, and no amount of tact will make it less offensive.
    ******************
    yes, I agree.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on May. 4, 2012

• The church witnesses and God convicts. I think that some Christians get that backwards and presumes that we do the work of conviction
    *******************************************************************************************
    This is a good way of stating it. I'd say, that works for any beliefs system in a sense. Obviously not the church and god part, but the part of conviction. We shouldn't presume to do the work of conviction for anyone, regardless of our belief system.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on May. 4, 2012

• I don't go around telling people they are going to hell or they better repent.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:05 PM on May. 4, 2012