what the hell....

is castor oil? it sounds like something that goes in a car, is that what it is... i hear women talking about it all the time on this site.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, it's not the oil you put in cars. This type they are talking about. Is the type you take by mouth, But you better be close to a toilet.

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Castor oil is kind of like vegetable oil. It is derived from the Castor bean. It will make you poop. ALOT.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i heard its suppose to make you go into labor more quickly for poeple who are sick of being prego.

ive never seen it though.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• americansugar its not for "people who are sick of being pregnant!"

it could be for someone that would rather use something natural instead of drugs to be induced.. like pitocin!!
    Anonymous

• You're thinking of castro oil! Somewhere out there, some pregnant woman has made that same mistake, I bet! Don't take either though!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• its what Rebecca7708 described..and it's an old wives tale. it will NOT help you go into labor..just give you the worst shits of your life.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is sold as a laxitive, and no you don't want it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Castor oil is an oil that you can purchase at any drug store, its used as a laxative. Some women take it during the end of their pregnancy, to help put them into labour. What it does is it causes the bowels to get irritated, which in turns can make the uterus irritated and cause contractions. This does in fact work with some women, (it worked for my sister 3 times, my best friend 2 times, didnt work even a tiny bit for me). However, if your body is not ready to go into labour, then no amount of castor oil is going to make it go into labour either. Some midwifes recommend it as a natural way to help women, others dont.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 2:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Don't believe the idea that you can take it & go into labor either. I was full term w/ my first baby & was soooo ready to have him that I took some... not fun. When I finished puking my guts out from it I was glued to the toilet for the rest of the night. Stay away!!! lol
    Vballchick

Answer by Vballchick at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009