Anybody dealt with Lice?

HELP!!! lol. Freaking out a little!

This is my first experience with it. I got all the bedding sprays from Walmart, and my dd's doc called her in a prescription of OVIDE......anybody used it before? Her hair is Very thick, and curly and I knew those NIX combs wouldn't go through it just using that.

The directions say to apply to dry hair and saturate scalp and behind ears and nape of neck....leave uncovered for 8-12 hours. Then shampoo and rinse and use the comb to get any nits out. I haven't seen any nits yet nor is she scratching yet. Will it hurt her taking all these precautions? I applied it already. And put her stuffed animals in a bag (she cried at that)

I have done 4 loads of laundry already , all the bedding stuff and our clothes.

How likely is it that I will get it? Ty for any advice and help ladies. Please No bashing....its a childhood curse that just happens I understand that.

shebearncub

Asked by shebearncub at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Okay, I worked in a daycare for close to 6 years and I never got lice although the daycare center always had breakouts. However, since you are living inside the household, what we told families is to treat everyone with the shampoo just to be safe. Don't be ashamed. It is completely FALSE that "dirty" kids get lice. Lice does not discriminate, rich, poor, dirty, & clean...Everybody has the same chance of getting it. Good luck mama!!
    **Another tip that I was told but I am not sure if it is true (however it seems to be true for me) if you dye your hair and use hairspray they don't seem to "like" your hair (??) but it could be a myth
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• it happens to every parents almost once our kids are in school try not to stress this may not be the only time she gets hate to tell you.
    After you rince that stuff out of hair you wana comb through it with the comb and make sure all the eggs are out. Shes not itching yet probably because they havnt hatched and she might not have a ton of them crawling around her little head yet i know YUCK.
    you dont have to through her stuffed animials away put them in your Freezer if you have a big freezer for 48 hours after that take them out and wash them. The freezer will kill them all. Didnt know that till my MIL told me thank goodness.
    Make sure you spray down the matteress and the floors well. It shouldnt hurt her for taking any of these precribitions, it could cause a rash on her scalp if shes got sensative skin.
    Sorry to hear you have to go through this its not fun.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well i dont think you have to use the itty bitty comb to comb it all out, its just to pull out all the dead lice, you can use a regular comb too.

you can use your dryer for anything like stuffed animals, things like combs and brushes should be boiled. just make sure you put everything in the dryer when your done washing.

anything that cant be boiled or dryed like hair acessories should be bagged up and left outside in the sun for some weeks i think its 4, you might want to look that up.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ok the only thing that we were able to do to get rid of it completely was treat EVERYONE that lives in the house. The cheapest and best way we did it was to soak your hair/scalp in vegetable oil and put a shower cap on for about an hour and then shampooed it out twice really good for your hair too lol. but with the stuffed animals put them outside over night in a shed or unheated garage and leave them there at least over night if not longer vaccuum the couches and beds. any pets need to get checked as well. GOOD LUCK!!!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• oh yeah and its possible you might get it so id treat yourself just in case and anyone else who lives in your home.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My dd brought it home more then once from the same child whose mom didnt take care of it. Wash everything, steam clean if you can too. Replace all the hairbrushes as well. I tossed out all the pillows in the house and got new ones too. Dont forget to treat her mattress and yours. Yes you can get it. What I did was treat everyone hair with the OTC stuff just tomake sure.

Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ty ladies for all the advice and help!
    shebearncub

Answer by shebearncub at 1:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah, if you have long hair like I do keep it up, that way it decreases the chances, because you are less apt to touch it. (ie: sweeping it out of your face, tucking it behind your ears)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009