Warts on a kids hand

Does anyone else's kids get warts on their hands? My son had them but I didn't get too excited because his Dr. said they weren't contagious and to use an otc treatment or duct tape but when his headstart teacher saw them she freaked and called the health coordinator and they told me he couldn't come back until I got a Dr's note. I told them the Dr. already saw them but they insisted. So I wasted half a day at the Dr's office for them to tell me the same thing. Even with the Dr's note the teacher looked at me like she didn't believe me that they weren't catching. If they were wouldn't my other kids have them too? I wouldn't want to put the other kids at risk which is why I got the Dr's ok before I sent him to school in the first place. They're gone now, the otc treatment worked. So I was just curious if they're that rare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son has a couple, one got really bad under his finger nail. We did have them treated by a dermatologist, but for his own comfort not because they are contagious.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My dr. said that some forms of warts are a virus. But not the kind you think of spreading from touching them. More like a blood virus. You can also put lemon juice on them soaked on a cotton ball covered by a band-aid whiile they sleep. Eventually the acid will break it down and they disappear.....
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son had them too. If they were contagious then my other kids surely would have got them! He went to school with duct tape on his fingers too, btw. Nobody freaked about it. He just told them he had warts. He had one on the edge one nostril too. We got that froze off.
    I had warts on my heels when I was little. I had a boyfriend that had warts on his knees in high school. If warts were "rare" why do they sell OTC treatment for them? I think that teacher needs to pick up a medical book & have a read. lol
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009