whats a good way to handle a three yr old when time out doesn't work anymore

I've been putting my son in time out for punishment when he doesn't listen.
Now whenever I do it doesn't seem to bother him anymore plus sometimes he laughs at me he's constantly into everything

amanda1531nn

Asked by amanda1531nn at 1:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take away his toys and have him earn them back on at a time.
    Anonymous

• With my daughter she got sick of time out..meaning that she does not want to be in timeout.
    What works better is I take stuff that she likes away..Just last night she lost the computer because she would not listen..I also take away playing in the snow..try taking stuff away that he likes. I will ask her...ok why couldn't you use the computer today?? And have her answer me so this way I feel she understands what she did wrong and why she lost what she lost.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• A good old spanking would probably do the trick! I have never used and never will use time-outs. My daughter KNOWS that if she acts up, she will get spanked so she rarely acts up! We all got spanked and turned out just fine!
    Anonymous

• Well, you might try fitting the discipline to the behavior - time out is not a panacea for not listening. Some alternatives are "hand over hand" helping when your child doesn't want to do something you've asked them to do. Repeated practicing of behavior you know they can do but chooses not to do. Also, make sure you point out the positive behavior when he makes good choices and focus on that. Do have have a good rapport with your child? The essence of successful "time out" is a desire for your child to want to be with you - time out is time away from you. Also, rather than time out, you might try "think time" which focuses your child on thinking of a better choice to make next time in the same situation.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What are you doing to release him from time out? When he gets out, does he still have to do what you told him to do or do you just release him from time out and let him go on his merry way with a "you need to start listening to me" speech?

Don't just let him out....he can leave time out when he decides he's going to do what you told him to do. And while he's in time out, he gets nothing...no TV, no books, no toys and NO YOU...oh, and STANDING in the corner does wonders!!! They get tired quicker!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My 3 year old is the same way but she really loves her blanket so know her blanket goes in a time out, when the 3 minutes are up she can have it back. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it is to her.
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My daughter gets really sassy, and if she has time out near me she keeps telling me why it's not fair. So now I've been sending her to her room, and after 3 or 4 minutes I go ask her if she understands why she was in time out. If she's ready to talk, and do as I ask afterward, then she can come out. If she's still arguing with me or refusing to do what I'd asked, then I go back out for 3 more minutes and try again. She almost never needs time outs now, since she hates being where she can't see what everyone's up to, and she knows she'll still end up having to do what I askled in the first place.
    MommyLi288

Answer by MommyLi288 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Time out has always been a game to kids. Don't give in mom. Stay firm about whatever you want him to do. If he doesn't Start eliminating his toys favorite snacks... ect and key your word mom. Don't get soft he is testing you.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with the answers of TiccledBlue. Also, make sure that when he is a good listener and does what you ask the first time that you PRAISE,PRAISE, PRAISE him for being a good listener. Always praise or reward the behavior you want three times the amount that you correct him! You want him to do it more and rewards and praise will increase the behavior you want.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009