Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeless/single mother

i am 20 yrs old with a 18 month old son and have been living in a terrible situation for 3 yrs now. I have nothing and no one but my son and am not sure what to do. I am in search of a women's home or shelter where they will provide shelter, food, guidance and care. I do not have a car or a job so I would also like to go somewhere that could help with child care and transportation while i work! I live in NW Indiana , if you have any advice on what i should do or where i should start please let me know!

Answer Question

Asked by manders_2207 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • call around to ... like womans help center there every where .... but dont be ashamed it happens to a lot of ppl (it happen to my mother 3 times ) she has 6 kids

    Answer by drezmama at 9:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2008


    Here is a link to the United Way funded agencies in your area. Keep in mind that if you call one of these numbers, they are equipped to get you the fastest answers for your personal situation. These agencies re there for people in situations like yours. Please never be embarrassed or afraid to reach out for help. The safety and well being of you and your child are of upmost importance! Please visit my page or email if you need any further information. Hugs, Paige

    Answer by KarateBoMom at 9:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • your local salvation army should also be able to help and your local welfare if you have the assistance i live in massachusetts and we have a program that helps mothers get on there feet through job training and assisted living. if you have to find a state that offers things and go there. relocate

    Answer by jops at 10:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence Indianapolis (317)543-3908
    Women's Alternatives: Anderson 317-643-0200
    Middle Way House, Inc. Bloomington 812-336-0846
    Turning Point Columbus (800)221-6311
    Family Crisis Shelter Crawfordsville 317-362-2030

    Answer by TXdanielly at 10:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • My cousin is getting a lot of help through welfare. They are paying her rent and utilities, sending her to job training, setting her up with a (cheap) car, paying for daycare, and buying her food. They didn't hunt her down and offer it to her... she had to motivate herself to get the info/help she so desperately needed! I'm sure there is something in your area. We are in PA. Your welfare office should be able to help, as well as the contact info provided int he previous answers. Good luck!!

    Answer by drowninginboys at 10:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • salvation army

    Answer by bunco at 11:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • Also look into whether or not your area has a Habitat for Humanity type organization.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.