If you're a sahm..

Do you feel it's a right or privilege ?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 5:37 PM on May. 4, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• An annoyance. Seriously.

I don't feel like its either. It's what I have to do since daycare and gas costs too much, we move too much, my husband's schedule is unpredictable. We can afford for me to stay home. I get $538 a month from the VA so I'm contributing.

But really, I hate it. For some people it is their calling. I can't wait for my son to start kindergarten so I can at least take a couple of classes or something. I worked for 12 years before becoming a SAHM. It's just so mundane and mind numbing. I love my kids but I don't love being around them all day.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:44 PM on May. 4, 2012

• A privilege, definitely.
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 5:41 PM on May. 4, 2012

• I was a SAHM until three months ago, when I started working PT again. I was happy to be privileged enough that we could afford for me to stay home for five years. Now I feel privileged that I can afford to only work PT. I do think that maternity leave should be a hell of a lot longer than 8 weeks; in some countries it's six months or a year, and that would be wonderful.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:45 PM on May. 4, 2012

• My DF would say its a right, he has always been happy with me being home with our DD.
    And I say a privelage I greatly appreciate!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:20 PM on May. 4, 2012

• A privilege by far.. in this day of age it's far from a right.. imo
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:51 PM on May. 4, 2012

• A privilege. If we couldn't afford it then I would be working. I may try to find a job after the summer anyhow. I need to get a life.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:57 PM on May. 4, 2012

• A privilege. I'm a single mom and I work 8 am to 5 pm monday through friday. I love the weekends and after work and I cherish the time I do have with my son. Fortunately I have a great family and my son has two grandmothers who share the weekday taking care of him after school. I know that I'm very fortunate for that but I do wish I could put my son on and off the bus and stay home with him when he's sick.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:09 PM on May. 4, 2012

• A privilege. I worked hard and planned things well do I could have the enjoyment of staying home with my kids. I knew what I wanted and worked towards the goal.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 PM on May. 4, 2012

• Privilege ... but it should be a right.
    And what i mean by that is, that today's society practically requires a dual income household. Which is unfair for everyone.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:46 PM on May. 4, 2012

• privilege
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2012