Should I just attempt it myself?

My 3 year old has, I believe, an ingrown toe nail. Should I call the doc or just attempt to dig it out myself? It's not infected but swollen, red and sore.

blainesmommy03

Asked by blainesmommy03 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OUCH i guess that depends on if you wana be the bad guy or not. but if you decide to do it make sure you put a antibiotic cream on it when your done so it doesnt get infected. good luck
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My mom took care of it herself once....never again..she still has pain in it..
    I would take her to the doctor..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ouch, I'd call the doctor. I wouldn't want to start digging it out and then it get infected. And you don't really know how far grown in it is. Just leave it be and wait to see the doctor...that's what I would do. GL.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Thanks ladies! A coworker told me to just dig it out myself but I'm worried that I'd make it worse and it become infected. So I will call his doc and see what they say.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You could also take your child to a nail salon and have them remove it if you can't get a dr's appointment in time. They are very good at doing it in as painless a way as possible. Bt dr's tend to be free lol
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Go to the doctor. They can put something on it to numb the area before they start digging around.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Probably let the doctor handle it. If it's sore, you'll have a very hard time digging it out yourself. You don't want to leave that bad impression in your child's mind in case it happens again.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What doctor do you see colormecurvy?
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'd take her to the dr for it. I had multiple ingrown toenails when I was little, and I had it done both ways. Trust me, the dr will hurt her alot less than you will by trying to dig it out yourself. It's worth the money. And I would not take her to a nail salon to have it done, they have too many problems with infections anyway, I wouldn't want them digging on my baby's toe with something that isn't really sterile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2009