False result on pregnancy test?

Would drinking too much water affect the outcome of a test? I took one the other night and drank alot of water beforehand so I would need the bethroom. then I read the directions and they said avoid excessive fluid intake before taking the test. Did i jeopordize it? The result was negative by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Probably, just get another test and take it in the morn
    Anonymous

• depends on how far along you would be. if your far anough along it wont matter how much you drink its going to be pos but im assuming you might only be 2 or 3 weeks and that amount of water could give a different reading since it will dilute your pee.
    buy another test and take it first thing in the morning the best time is when you first get up and you use your first pee of the day.
    Anonymous

• If youre newly pregnant, or if youve just missed your period, drinking an excessive amount of water could definitely jeopardize the test results. If you dilute your urine with a lot of a water then the HCG isnt as prevailant, and it might make it hard for a test to detect the hormone. I would get another test, and take the test with first morning urine. Good luck!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 2:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009