When or what to do to stop brestfeeding?

I am really ready to stop. He is 9 months old. He only does it to go to sleep or for comfort. Also he has 2 teeth now so his bitting REALLY hurts. He not only bites but pulls my nipple. Any tips about stopping will be helpful...

shortimicmama

Asked by shortimicmama at 1:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get an ace bandage to wrap your breasts beneath. The compression will help slow the supply. Or you can put cabbage leaves in your bra, (I know it sounds silly but it works!). to make it even easier I would stop giving him the comfort feedings, and then slowly shorten the time of his night feedings until it was less than 5 minutes or so to help decrease your supply. Then try the quitting methods.
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Why not try to curb the biting. he bites stop feeding. He does it 3 times feeding is over. Worked great on my girl.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'd encourage you to continue nursing, because this will pass. There are many ways to discourage biting. If this is not for you, and you really do want to wean, replace one feeding per week with formula until done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• He's still getting a lot of nutrients from you, and switching to formula is going to be expensive. I'd say stick it out a few more months if you can. I agree with what collen said about biting.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009