Am I wrong to be ticked by this right now? (dh don't turn the channel when kids are near)

We have a 6 year old and a 15 year old roaming around the house. Dh is watching tv and a sex scene comes on. Not just petting and kissing but full on sex. Not quite porn shows. Just cable shows that show nudity and people having sex . Boobs and butts on the screen, women going down and on top and every which way. I'm worried one of the kids are going to come into the room.Sometimes the kids are already in the room even watching that show.(The show didn't start out that way, the scene just happened to be in there) He also don't turn the channel when scary movies showing people getting bludgened to death are on and my six year old is watching tv with him. She has turned her face away and puts her hand over her face when something gross comes on. She is easily scared by these movies. I've told him hon, we have kids walking around. His response is (about the sex scenes) "you don't think he knows about this stuff already". Of course he knows about it but what teenage boy needs temptation like that? When something comes on that I don't think my 6 year old should see (like the scary movies) I get the vibe that he's irritated when I say Caitlyn go in the other room or tell him I don't think that its good for her to see.To make it worse my 6 year old wants to argue with me and say but mom I want to see this movie.  I don't want to overprotect my kids but I just don't think they should be seeing things like that. The 15 year old and scary movies, fine, teens like scary movies but the sex loaded ones I'd really rather our son not have to walk in the room while his parents are sitting in front of the tv watching a two people get it on (or my daughter for that matter). I plan on talking to dh more about this but knowing him he's going to argue about it and tell me its not that bad. Just need some outside opinions here. How do you feel about these things? Sometimes, on TV these days, those kind of things just pop up in shows when your not even expecting it too. If I'm watching it, I turn the channel if that happens and make sure the kids won't be coming back in the room. If dh is watching such a show he just sits there watching it like there's not a kid or teen around for miles. uggghhh, he frustrates me. He's doing this right now actually.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• You are NOT wrong. He is.

Is there a TV in your bedroom? he can watch thse shows there. Or wait till the kids are in bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I remember some TV shows that my father was watching when I was a kid... still embarrassed about those. Yes, I think you have a right to be angry. The less kids are exposed to, the better off they are. Let's face it, there is too much out there anyway... they don't need anything added.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 AM on May. 5, 2012

• sorry if my sentences are run on in my post. I have a few errors in there too. Might make it hard to read. Dh walked in before I got a chance to read over what I wrote. I sent it in a hurry. Not trying to be behind his back like that but I'd rather talk to him first before he sees me griping to others. He makes me feel like I'm the one being ridiculous. I just want to see if I am being that way or would other moms be bothered by this too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 AM on May. 5, 2012

• HE is being ridiculous.

But understand that's normal male. Y Chromosome Defect at work. Why we let them run a damned thing, I'll never know.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Obviously, the 15 yr old can handle more than the 6 yr old.
    If the 6 yr old is awake, then your DH should be watching that stuff in another room, period.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:54 AM on May. 5, 2012

• you could get a universal remote so that there are 2 remotes for the tv and when it happens again change the channel and he'd be like WTF???? and you dont say a word just act as if you dont have a clue what he is talking about. LOL
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:14 AM on May. 5, 2012

• luvmygrandbaby, love that idea. I think if I talk to him and he won't hear what I'm trying to tell him, I might just do that. lol. At least it might turn the channel long enough before he found out for the bad part to be over.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 AM on May. 5, 2012

• LOL, go for it
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:26 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I wonder about that Y chromosome defect too. I'm not wanting to man bash here but sometimes he has not a clue that he's doing anything wrong and I'm like duh, common sense. I haven't just seen this in him. I used to think that was all jokes but the older I get and the more men I am exposed to, it seems to be true. My dh isn't a bad guy at heart. Quite the opposite. He just does the most questionable things though. Then wants to get all offended when someone brings it up even if done in the nicest most non critical or nonaccusatory way possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Yep yep yep.

I mean, come on. Three Stooges? If that's not evidence I don't know what is!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 AM on May. 5, 2012