Someone was stealing from my son's lunch account

My son's school allows parents to put money in an account for their children so that they don't have to bring money every day. I put $32 a month in my son's account, at $4 a lunch, that's enough for my son to buy 2 times a week. I deposited the money on the 1st. Yesterday, my son called me saying that there was no money in his account, this was the first time he had bought this month so there should have been the whole $32. I went up to the school to bring him lunch and to find out what happened. It turns out that someone had been using his account, it was a kid who assists in the office and therefore, had access to my son's lunch numbers (he wasn't supposed to have access to it but with him being in the office, it wasn't hard for him to get them). He was called to the office and after knowing that he had already been caught, he fessed up and told the principal that he would sell other student's lunch numbers. He said he gave 4 kids my son's lunch number so they cleaned it out. While all this was going on another child came to the office with the same story, he should have money in his account but he didn't.
Personally, I think this child should be suspended, in not expelled but all he got was in school detention for a week which means, when he should be in class, he goes to the detention room and does his work. It's all during school, he doesn't stay after, doesn't miss out on getting his graded work done so it's really not even a punishment. Also, the principal called his mom and told her what he had done and told her how much money he took from my kid and the other kid. She said "sorry the school will have to replace it cause I don't have the money" so the principal told me I'm out the money unless I want to take her to civil court (yeah, over $32, not worth my time). What do you think his punishment should have been? This is 8th grade btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 AM on May. 5, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I would go to the school board if I were you. That is bullshit that they aren't going to replace the money.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:49 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I would just insist that every lunch he gets for the rest of the year be free of charge. Although the boy did this, the school is still at fault and the school needs to take care of this. If you are not satisfied with how the principal handles this, go to the superintendent, then the board....

Your son has to go to a large school...either that or the lunch staff is not paying attention. At DD's school (K-6), the lunch lady who does the cash register knows DD's number (110...and she's maybe done lunch 15 times since school started) and probably the number of 99% of the rest of the students.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:11 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Oh, I don't think so. I'd tell the school they better replace that money before you go over their head to the school board, and...oh, yeah, your local news. If this kid had access to the lunch numbers, what other personal information might he have gotten? Think about it for a minute, when my kids went to public school, I had to put social security numbers for them, and for me, on the paperwork. If this kid was willing to sell lunch numbers, he'd probably sell any other info he got that he thought might be useful. I'd tell the school that if they don't replace that money, you'll have no choice but to go to the school board and to go public with your concerns that privacy is not very well guarded by the school.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on May. 5, 2012

• If they aren't protecting this information, what else aren't they protecting? I would go to the police and file a complaint. It is stealing no matter how you look at it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:12 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I would go to the police. That is theft and should be dealt with beyond the school.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 AM on May. 5, 2012

• This is more than civil. It IS criminal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:31 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I also would go to the police. It's stealing! An 8th grader already involved in that type of stuff needs serious help.

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Is the lunch person monitoring the students when they buy their lunches? My son is in elementary school and knows all the students but when they punch in their number their photo comes up so if it was someone else I am sure she would not allow that person to buy on his account.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Go to the school board. The school is at fault and needs to pay. If the principal will not correct the issue then your next step is the superintendent and/or school board.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:39 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I would be raging mad if that happened to me! Shit would be hitting the fan not only at the school, but at that little thief's home. It's nice to see his mother could give a shit less about what her little brat did (great mom!). It should be the school's responsibility to replace the money and if they won't then I would go to the superintendent, school board and police and it that doesn't help then the media. Good luck...I hope you are able to get your money back very soon.

Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:06 PM on May. 5, 2012