Did you know this about cats in heat?

did you know that cats do not ovulate until they mate? Or that a female cat may give birth to five kittens, each from a different father? That whole (un-neutered) male cats have barbed penises to stimulate the female cat to ovulate?

I was looking in to cats and how they get pregnant to see if they ovulate like us and I did not know they ovulate when they have sex! Gosh I'm thankful humans aren't like that! lol.
I did know they could gove birth to kittens by different dad's though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• My poor girl cat will remain a virgin for life. She'll thank me someday!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh and my dog gave birth to dogs from different fathers as well.
    munch12502

• that explains why there are so many kittens (cats) around!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• lmao. I got all mine spayed except ONE. I still had to get her spayed. The other 3 can't have babies though. I caught that ONE non-spayed cat doing the nasty yesterday! Hence the reason why I looked it up on the internet. haha.
    Anonymous

• That was very educational.. I guess I've never looked into animal's reproductive habits. I know one thing, my dog has gas really bad today!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes, also another little tidbit, if you have an unaltered female cat and she is driving you insane with her carrying on during her estres cycle, you can use a dry Qtip on her...it will...erm...stimulate her to ovulate and then she will end her cycle. It has the rough texture of the males penis. Of course I don't recommend anyone here do this, but my vet did it for me once. Little miss kittie had her spay scheduled and 2 weeks prior she came into heat, I was ready to launch her off the tallest bridge I could find lol so the vet did this and it worked like a charm.
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 7:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Wow, I'd feel like a weirdo. lol. But that is a good tip I suppose.
    Anonymous

• LMAO!!! There is no way I could molest a cat with anything. LOL I'll definitely leave that up to the doctors.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009