Will a psych hospital admit me if I'm not suicidal or homicidal?

I'm bipolar, and years ago I used to rapid cycle. I tried just about every med for mania that was available at the time, but I had adverse reactions to them all. My mania decreased significantly -in fact was almost nonexistent - when I started supplementing with vitamin d. I still take an antidepressant, but my pcp prescribes that. I haven't seen a therapist or psychiatrist in years. Lately, though, it seems like there's a manic storm going on inside my head. My thoughts are all disordered. I've been abusing benzos just to try to calm my head. Every place my insurance covers requires that I see a therapist before I can even make an appointment with a psychiatrist. I feel like I need a mood stabilizer or antipsychotis now, not weeks from now. Will a mental hospital admit me based on this info?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 5, 2012 in Health

• No but you will have to continue to see a psychiatrist... until it is controled.. i hope everything works out for you.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 8:44 AM on May. 5, 2012

• It is unlikely you would be admitted. Having said that, have you spoken to your pcp lately? How are you getting the benzos to abuse?

My point is that your pcp may be able to help you until you can get into a psychiatrist
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:56 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I did a bit of googling for your question. voluntary commitment in many of the forums seems to be discouraged, especially by people who have done it based on suicidal thoughts. they seem to concur across the board that medication and therapy is a better choice.

have you looked into:
    https://www.moodtracker.com/index.php
    or wrongplanet.net?
    http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt152357.html
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:20 AM on May. 5, 2012

• It could happen.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:13 PM on May. 5, 2012

• You may be able to voluntarily admit yourself, IF there is room. You would be the first released. You are better off seeing a therapist and getting an appt from their psyciatrist. It would be a lot cheaper.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on May. 5, 2012