My dh and son got into a wreck this morning

They were driving down to Virginia and a deer jumped out in front of them they hit the deer at 65 mph and spun and smashed into a guardrail. I've been freaking out for over an hour because I had 27 missed calls from them they just got done with the police and are headed home now :( I'm so thankful they are ok, our truck not so much but that can be fixed...

To make it a question
Have you ever hit a deer? This is my dh's second time, he totaled our brand new mustang in 2002.

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 8:49 AM on May. 5, 2012 in Travel

• Oh goodness, I am so sorry they had a wreck but very happy that they are okay. Sorry you were so worried momma!
    I have never hit a deer but a truck tire after a blow out hit a van I was driving once and it really messed up the hood!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:53 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Nope- never hit one.

Glad they are ok
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:51 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Oh how scary! I'm so glad they are okay.

I've been really lucky. I've clipped one and I've gotten hit by one that the car in front of me hit. Both times only minimal damage to my car and no one hurt (well, except the poor deer :( )

What did the most damage for me was a turkey. I hit one last fall and it tore the heck out of the right front side of my car
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:52 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Thankfully never hit one. We live on Maryland and we have dozens of them in the area where we live.
    Glad that your DH and son are okay. Unfortunately these things cannot be prevented, that's what I'm telling my DH all the time. The important thing is our families are okay
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 8:58 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Driving late at night in Northern Idaho, I sat up (passenger seat) just in time to see a moose turn its head towards the oncoming car.
    We clipped his nose with the side view mirror. It was pushed in with such force it took out the window. Very scary.

Glad to hear the family is ok.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:02 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Just be happy they made it automobiles come n go...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 9:06 AM on May. 5, 2012

• I am glad they are OK. That can be scary.

I have never hit a deer, but family members have. My sister has had incidents with deer, but it has been with THEM hitting HER! On two separate occasions, she has stopped when she has seen a deer along side the rode. Both times, she proceeded slowly when the deer stopped and didn't enter the road. Both times when she moved, the deer also decided to move and the deer hit the side of her car. The second time a police officer was in the car behind her. He had a hard time not laughing as he helped her with her vehicle.

My ex husband hit deer frequently. He had those 'deer whistles' on the front of his truck that was supposed to keep deer away. After about the fourth time I got a call to pick him up because he hit a deer, I asked him if he didn't have those darned things on backward and were attracting the deer instead!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Thankfully they are OK. I have never hit a deer my DH ha and it totaled the car.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:14 AM on May. 5, 2012

• No, but I'm kinda surprised because they are all over the place including a small herd in our residential neighborhood! So glad they are okay though!

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on May. 5, 2012

• Nope
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:30 AM on May. 5, 2012