What should the US do about our Top Two Threats?

1) Iran
2) Mexico

WASHINGTON - Outgoing CIA Director Michael V. Hayden said yesterday that the most pressing issues facing his successor include Iran's pursuit of a nuclear weapon and surging violence in Mexico - but not the war in Iraq.

Should we send military troops to our border to offer tighter security?
Is Iran a Tiny Country that does not Pose a Threat (in your opinion)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think any country with terrorist ties and the ability to have nuclear weapons that can strike us or our allies should be our first concern. I dont know what the answer is but I do think whatever we need to do to stop that threat is not off the table. As for Mexico I dont consider them a huge threat. The only problem I see with them is that without secure borders then we are at risk for terrorists using them as a gateway to access this country and carry out attacks. Since were closing gitmo though I think we are going to have more problems then just the borders.

Answer by gemgem at 2:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Should we send military troops to our border to offer tighter security? sure, seems logical until you understand the length of border and the will of the people who need food, no we should find a way to let them come here legally... Is Iran a Tiny Country that does not Pose a Threat (in your opinion)?While Iran is small in size, they are huge in ego. my dh's father (my fil) is from there, came to the us in the 1970's.... they have a ton of national pride, like the french if you will, like us Americans have, they aren't going to take ANY crap from us.... they do not want to attack us because they aren't stupid, they know what that would cause, but if we attack them unprovoked god help us all, really just pick a city.... that is all i have to say... it is very sad that some people think war is the only/best answer...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with gemgem- Any country with terrorist ties & who has nuclear weapons (or the immediate capacity to create them) is a threat. But really, all we can do with Iran ATM is watch & wait- if we make any kind of agressive move, it could potentially set off a bomb race (as in "who can bomb who first?"). I think their President is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
    As for Mexico, I don't think they are a large threat to the US, except financially. We are hemorrhaging money for services for illegal immigrants- yet we cannot/ will not take care of our own war vets. This has never (and never will) make any sense to me!
    IMO, China should be considered more of a threat than Mexico. With the contamination of many foods/products that are manufactured in China, they are a threat to our health & safety. They should be taken off the "Most Favorable Nations" list at once.
    JMO.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Mexico is a dangerous place. It's about drug wars going on there .We need to keep eye on them.
    Anonymous

• Okay at the risk of being insulted and bashed I'm goig to give my opinion.
    I'm a Canadian mom, who I must say does not pay much attention to your politics, but I watch a bit of it. As a Canadian I believe the States tries too hard to control what the other countries do. Let them be, when it spill over on to American soil, then make it your problem. As a country you are in so much debt becuase you go and fight battles that don't need to be fought. You can't stop a war if you are the ones starting it. People in the Middle East have been fighting with each other for CENTURIES. Let them be, if that's what they do, then that's what they do. As for Mexico, maybe send troops in there to do some schooling and HELP them to over come drugs and violence. Young minds are very mouldable as we MOMS all know. Instead of threatening war all the time, why not just sit and TALK before you ACT.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009